Mussel questions?

Fummus
Fummus
Went to coast to try poke poling for the first time with my middle child. No fish were harmed, but since middle child is an aspiring chef, we did bring home some muscles. Never cooked em before, but according to the all knowing google, we supposed to cook em in dry white wine with various herbs and such. Supposedly any that don't pop open during the cooking should be tossed as they was dead before cooking. I was thinking we could just open them up and toss on the grill (in the shell of course), but that would negate the pop open safety test? Anywho, since I'm not the most trusting of everything I read on the net, wanted to ask you fine folks what your thoughts were on muscle cooking and safety??

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Mussels are great been eating them all week,white wine butter garlic steamed with a lid, I use a clear one. Quick easy and tasty meal! N Jetty Siuslaw at lower tides and they are FREE!

Reactions: Ladyvonderlake
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
They will pop open when cooked dont pop them yourself!

Reactions: Ladyvonderlake
G
Gulfstream
Rinse them off to get some of the sand off. I get a bit of white wine with ginger, garlic red pepper chili flakes and green onions boiling, add the mussels and cover .Only takes a few minutes Use the Beard[legs] to pull them out of the shell They are delicious

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
You can very well grill them, but its rather pointless. Once they pop and you season them, you'll be eating them and telling yourself you should've cooked them with wine-herbs-garlic.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I really like them on the grill. Don't bother popping them open first, just set them on closed and they will pop open themselves. Then take whatever sauce/spice mixture you might have boiled them in and put a little bit in the shell.