Muskie fishin on Lake Tapps!!

M
muskieguide
I'm planning on the last week or weekend of June and there were quite a few of you who wanted to go. The fishin will be on Fire and is hot right now too. I know of a bunch of hotels from 50-75 a night up there and am tryin to find camping close too. We went up and fished my secret hole from the bank Monday and caught 7 muskies. All were small between 26-37 inches but it was fun anyhow. We need to find out the fishermen to boat ratio also. The bass fishin is getting hotter also. The smallmouth and largemouth are also heading up to spawn as well. (theyre late bloomers up there) Let's get it together and go get some fish.

Z
ztubs
Man this sounds sweet, I wish I had all the setups I left in vegas :|

C
cowboysfan
Where is this lake tapps

T
the_intimidator03
Lake Tapps is in Washington, in Pierce County.

Z
ztubs
the_intimidator03 said:
Lake Tapps is in Washington, in Pierce County.

They have pike in there also?

T
the_intimidator03
I dunno but muskieguide would be a very good person to ask about pike/musky

M
muskieguide
Lake tapps is about 2.5 hours from portland. 2 hours if traffic is good and about 30 min east of tacoma. The lake is a bass and muskie fishermens dream as far as structure and layout goes. I chose the end of june to go because once all the pleasure boaters take over when the hot weather hits it gets tougher to get fish to bite. There is no pike in there but just north of spokane theres the the river there thats loaded and weve had many 20-40 fish days on pike in june-september. The muskies intapps destroy bass plugs swimbaits, soft plastice and spinnerbaits so your basss gear will work. There is merwin resivor bout 45 min out of portland that has good muskie fishin in it too but those fish are tough to get to bite. Bucktails are a good choice there and you can do some sight fishin as well. Either way ya gotta put in the hours to get em. Once you get your first boatside muskie or have a 4 footer follow your lure to the boat you'll be hooked for life.

R
ryan808
Im in. No boat for me, but who ever i can ride with will have a plethora of custom rods to use :D

Z
ztubs
Good info, not much for muskie, but pike fishing is usually pretty easy in infested waters.... plus the big ones go for the frogs and swim baits near and on grass\weed beds. So much fun and if they aint toxic they are pretty good eats.

R
rl206
Tapps isn't too far from me.
I have some friends that live on the lake,
The musky fishing is picking up, and there are a few stragglers moving up onto beds.
Good luck guys, sounds like you guys will be coming up here when I have my OR trip to your guys' neck of the woods!

M
muskieguide
The pike in the Pend Orielle River are great eating and most definitely plentifull anywhere from spokane to sullivan dam and in all the little bays and coves. The muskies in Tapps don't spawn since they're sterile but are up in the shallows feedin on all the little fish that are spawning. Perch and suckers are their primary food in there.

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
I was surprised to read this thread......I used to swim in Lake Tapps when I was a kid. I never, at my young age, gave a thought to fishing there. I talked to my brother about it today and he had a magazine with an article in it about a huge Muskie caught there. Sounds like a fun time. I know someone that has land for sale there.....I think she wants like $600,000

M
muskieguide
Ya property there is stupid expensive. I grew up a mile away from it and have been guiding it since 1996. Used to catch salmon and steelhead in there. It's a world class fishery now for muskies and bass as long as the weather is cool enough to keep the Hundreds of idiot powerboaters at bay.