Murder on the lake. Catch and release the browns!!!!

S

Scowboy

Though I am covered by the fifth amendment I waive my rights and do admit, it was me. Had a great time on the lake saturday. Caught about 20 browns in the middle of the day! Made the mistake of turning my buddy on to the trick and he refused my request to put back the fish, and he kept 2 14in fish. He ate them but it still bugged me. I told him it wouldn't happen again and he promised to comply. I know we ALL kept the first few browns we caught up there but hope to spread the idea of not retaining them. Got em all on Power Bait. One pinch of pink, green and sparkle chartruese, rolled together and held in my cheek for five minutes. :think:

O

OnTheFly

Power bait in your mouth? Really? You're funny. You had me going there for a second.:lol:

G

Growbug

Why not put the powerbait in your mouth for a while. In Europe it was commonplace to put a maggot between your teeth and your lip for a couple of minutes? Why? It warms it up to body temperature.

G

GDBrown

Why not put the powerbait in your mouth for a while. In Europe it was commonplace to put a maggot between your teeth and your lip for a couple of minutes? Why? It warms it up to body temperature.

That is about the only way to keep them alive at 20 degrees below zero out on the ice in Montana.

And no I didn't use a fly rod when I ice fished.

GD

M

Metz84

Though I am covered by the fifth amendment I waive my rights and do admit, it was me. Had a great time on the lake saturday. Caught about 20 browns in the middle of the day! Made the mistake of turning my buddy on to the trick and he refused my request to put back the fish, and he kept 2 14in fish. He ate them but it still bugged me. I told him it wouldn't happen again and he promised to comply. I know we ALL kept the first few browns we caught up there but hope to spread the idea of not retaining them. Got em all on Power Bait. One pinch of pink, green and sparkle chartruese, rolled together and held in my cheek for five minutes. :think:

Nice man! That place is a great place to go all around...

O

OnTheFly

I'd rather put maggots in my mouth than power bait. Besides, how warm will it continue to be once it hits the water? Must have been done in France. They eat snails don't they?

Last edited:
G

Growbug

most of the critters n bugs that go into the water will cool pretty fast too. Back in the UK the idea was that the fish could sense the heat, just as they would if a bug, worm, etc went for a swim. Sticking the maggot in your mouth got it a little extra warm and wiggly.

I agree with no to the powerbait though.. i know how slimey it gets when wet.

Top Bottom