Multnomah Channel Sturgeon 12/4

S
Swamp Puppy
Hit the channel down near St Helens on friday. Didn't see much action on the 3 boats in sight and it was a little slow for us as as well.

Managed a couple of shakers that were nowhere near keeper size and had a lot of soft bites that just wouldn't stick.

They seemed pretty finnicky. Squid and Smelt both seemed to get about the same amt of action.

Anyone else doing anything down that way?

H
halibuthitman
I fish the channel pretty regular, and it really seems to slow down when the air temp drops below 35 or so, and since scappoose bay is 60% iced over I imagine this has had a big influence on the bite, and rumor has it the bite has been from around 11 am to 1 pm and then pretty much dead. This is spectacular weather to target the walleye in that area though.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
Have you done good for walleye down there in the winter?

H
halibuthitman
it depends on what a persons idea of good is, I have only fished the bay, and one spot on the chanel, but ive had 3 fish in 6 hrs with one pole, and other days fished all day for nothing, but the cold sure seems to make them want to strike the jigs ive presented, I really want to troll for them but im so far away from being properly set up for the spot I want to nail that I haven't tried that yet. Im confident that a master troller could have an exellent day if they put in the time to nail a good troll line in that bay.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
I might have to look in to that....
thanks

H
Herefishyfishy
Bank fishing on Sauvie?

Bank fishing on Sauvie?

I've heard there is some bank fishing access for sturgeon on Sauvie Island. Does anyone know about that?

H
halibuthitman
Herefishyfishy said:
I've heard there is some bank fishing access for sturgeon on Sauvie Island. Does anyone know about that?

you can't swing a dead cat on sauvie island w/o hitting a bank fishing spot, the gilbert boat ramp has a nice dock, sndslger says the fishing can be pretty decent there, a week ago I saw a 2 guys pull off a double from the st helens public dock. ( its obviously not on sauvie island ) probably the best bank spot on the lower columbia is just outside goble on hw 30, I will give you a hint how to find it... park at the train trestle ... walk under it and follow the trail of sand shrimp containers and keystone cans to the "rock pile";)

H
Herefishyfishy
Thanks hh. I will take a dead cat down there and start swingin!

H
halibuthitman
Herefishyfishy said:
Thanks hh. I will take a dead cat down there and start swingin!

since this is in the Portland area I suggest you use a faux fur dead cat..... tree huggers get sand in their butts when they see dead fur..

M
Marvin's Guide Service
I have been putting my boat in at he Gilbert river boat ramp, there is always people fishing on the end of the parking lot.

I see of the hike down the river about a mile also...'

good luck.

H
Herefishyfishy
So my wifes annoying cat gets a reprieve and I get some good info. Thanks guys I appreciate the input.

S
Swamp Puppy
going out again tomorrow...i'll let ya'll know how we do.

H
halibuthitman
well there where no boat trailers at the st helens launch today, over 4 inches of ice has the boat launch locked up, if you want to fish the channel you will need to put in off sauvie island.

S
Swamp Puppy
I assume you mean the launch at Scappoose Bay? yeah..found that out when i got there. lol. solid enough to walk out on.

I put in at the St Helens launch downtown and fished the river down below. no dice. not even a bump.

H
halibuthitman
Swamp Puppy said:
I assume you mean the launch at Scappoose Bay? yeah..found that out when i got there. lol. solid enough to walk out on.

I put in at the St Helens launch downtown and fished the river down below. no dice. not even a bump.
oh yeah, the launch downdown.. Ive never actually used that one. a little trick that kinda works when it is really cold is fish directly down stream of the turd proccessing plant output on sauvie island, the water is usally a couple degrees warmer for the first 50-75 ft, and has produced on really cold days, a really good old timer told me once that when its real cold take your boat to the city dock at st. helens, tie up, walk up the dock and cross the street... there is a bar there, order a beer and watch fishing on espn 56.:)

S
Swamp Puppy
halibuthitman said:
oh yeah, the launch downdown.. Ive never actually used that one. a little trick that kinda works when it is really cold is fish directly down stream of the turd proccessing plant output on sauvie island, the water is usally a couple degrees warmer for the first 50-75 ft, and has produced on really cold days, a really good old timer told me once that when its real cold take your boat to the city dock at st. helens, tie up, walk up the dock and cross the street... there is a bar there, order a beer and watch fishing on espn 56.:)

yeah, they closed that little tavern awhile back. i think they put in a pizza place now that you can still find yourself a cold beer if ya want. it'll cost ya 6 bucks though...lol. :shock: