Multnomah Channel springer fishing info here!

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Hey guys,

I will be buying up some herring soon, getting ready for the first springer outing of the year and I wanted to start a thread that would allow people to post here with any tips or advice pre season. Where to put in with a boat, where to bank fish, where to troll to and from, bait, tactics, etc. Please post it all here!

I will kick it off with my first question. Does anyone have thoughts on putting a boat in at the Sauvie Island boat ramp? Is there a better place to put in? Parking lot break in's being one of my top concerns.

Cheers,

Chris

• Sauvie_Island_Bridge_(second)_from_shoreline.jpg
D
DrTheopolis
If you're concerned about parking lot break-ins... avoid Catherdral Park like the plague.

I've never used it, but I know tons of people pay the few bucks and launch at Fred's just across from St Johns (at the head of the Channel, pretty much).

I've never fished the head-of-channel, but judging by the ~14,000 boats I see there, it must be a good spot.

P
plumb2fish
FB_IMG_1434857116728.jpg
12,pulls does work

D
DrTheopolis
Is that from this year, Plumb?

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
My bait of choice is plug cut herring behind what ever feels right for a short bus flasher on each particular day. I also use a spinner once in a while. Has anyone had more success with one type of rig versus another and if so, please share?

R
rakane
My brother gave me some of his old gear. I'm going to try the cut plugs lures with some Graybills scent.

ff2cf3a0169e4c1c9afe006a49711aac.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
MrGrumpFish said:
My bait of choice is plug cut herring behind what ever feels right for a short bus flasher on each particular day. I also use a spinner once in a while. Has anyone had more success with one type of rig versus another and if so, please share?

Last season near Astoria bridge we were fishing plug cut herring, anchovies and a spinner with no luck. Admittedly I don't have much experience trolling regarding depth, speed and such. A guide boat at the ramp limited with Brad's super bait with canned tuna.

P
plumb2fish
IMAG0091.jpg
3 rod flasher combo that put a LOT of fish in the boat last year. Trolling in 25' or less Right on the bottom 8 oz lead on 16" dropper. Lline from tip of rod to water at a 45° angle trolling down stream. Green label cut plug in salmon university herring brine "spiced-up"....it's almost time to get em.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Oh yeah! First springer trip of the year! Heading out this Saturday. Getting the gear ready this eve. Going to start with my new Shortbus flasher. I smell Bacon!

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Decided not to hit the channel this weekend because it is still just a tad bit early. Now we have over a week of downpour that is going to blow out a lot of rivers including the willy. Oh well. Time to do some maintenance on the boat and make it look better for 2016!

C
cchinook
Put in at the Gilbert River ramp , past the nudie beach
on your left . Troll up and around Coon Island .