Multnomah channel bass?

B
Bassbait
Hey, guys new here and I am planning on hitting the Multnomah Channel for some bass. A few poeple have told me they are in there. Any help would be appretiated!

Last edited by a moderator:
F
fishcrappie
Spring runoff usually ends by the 4th of July, wait 2 weeks and it will drop to summer level. Scappoose Bay at Bayport has a good launch and once you leave the bay there a rock piles outside on your right going upstream. About 5 miles upstream is the mouth of the Gilbert river and a boat launch on Sauvies Island the area on the west side is all riprack and good for smallies. Points are always good spots to try and there is lots of structure. Jigs, plastics of all types and crankbaits work well. There are a lot of walleye in the channel and they will eat your baits too. You can also launch at St. Johns (Cathedral Park) and fish your way down stream. The Portland Harbor is good all the way to the Willamette falls at Oregon City. Mostly smallies but October offers some good largemouth.

B
Bassbait
Ok, thanks! I plann on staying around the multonmah channel any good spot around there?

S
stream2.5
SEVERAL

id launch at McCuddys off of johnsons landing rd 1 mile south of scappoose.

its dead center of the channel... id run down river to the Tank hole.. there is a lot of old timbers that make up a lot of good structure with depth from 2 to 12 ft, then run down to coon island and fish the down river sides of the island and the rip rap piled up on the front of the island... there is also a good hole opposite the tank hole that yeild bass blue gill perch and walleye as well as the occational game fish.. (salmon, steelhead trout and sturgeon) then wrking below coon island you have the gilbert river all the way up to sturgeon lake... Santosh Slough, and the creek that runs into the slough.. then the 2 rock piles above scapoose bay. going towards the columbia id hit the loading ramp at the mill in st hellens.... all are great spots that yeild nice bass... friends have wone many of tournements on that strech

F
fishcrappie
Another good spot is the upper end of the channel at the head of Sauvies Island it is a good feeding flat as water from the the Columbia and the Willamette both wash down there. Rattle traps, spooks and grubs all work well. Fish inside and outside of the pilings. Good money spot in tournaments.

B
Bassbait
Tank Hole? LOL you got remember not familiar with that area at all. I know of gilber river. 2 rock piles about scappoose bay are they sticking out of the water? I have not been up in there much like once and was motoring around. Loading ramp in saint helens? Is that the mill right as you come out of the columbia headed up to scappoose bay? It has these green arm things that looks like it lifts logs? Cause I have fished there with no avial. :confused: And let me guess Large mouth in the sloughs? And smallies on the rocks? I would like to catch both. :cool:

S
stream2.5
tank hole is about 2 river miles down river from mccuddys landing, easiest way to tell your there is the big green tin roofed barn on the main land side and the old bunch of pilings on the west bank of the river, work those pilings with spooks or buzz baits as the water drops, it usedto be a batch of piling for an old rail road steam engine water refilling tank and the tressel which is mostly burnt down now extends its way north from the old tank down river about 1000 feet to a 90 degree corner on the river.

the rock piles only become visable in lowest of low waters... you will need a depth finder sonar to find them right now.... look for current rips and scan over the rips your looking for a 10--12 ft change in depth near shore