Mt. Hood trout fishing book

P
PTownAngler
So I purchased a book the other day about fishing the Mount Hood area titled "Fishing Mount Hood Country" by Gary Lewis & Robert Campbell. Its new for 2015. I'm enjoying it so much I have to tell you all about it. The book is simply amazing, if you like to trout fish you will cherish this book, especially if you fly fish. But it is still amazing even if you don't fly fish. I don't fly fish (although I am going to try it now because of this book lol) and I absolutely love this book. The info is heavy on the fly fishing (because fly fishing is usually more productive and it states the most productive way to fish each body of water) but has more than enough info on fishing spinning gear/trolling. There is tons of very useful information about 36 different fishing locations in the Mt. Hood area with great pics, what species of fish are in each body of water, what type of fishing is best, which lure type and color works best and where when and how to fish each lake, creek or river and directions as well. This book has everything you need to know about trout fishing all of the Mt. Hood lakes and streams. I very much recommend it if you enjoy trout fishing.
c4f384c94ab402252fd394bece4afdde.jpg
3b5ad4bf28cca672258f70e4e717f274.jpg
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Thank you P-Town. I actually "finned" a copy; 2 weeks ago in Estacada. I think that I saw a batch, at the Ripplebrook Ranger Station too. Now I'm definitely going to get a copy, for my library. :)

troutdude
troutdude
P
PTownAngler
Yeah I forgot to mention I got it at fisherman's. Thanks Troutdude, that's some good information on where it's available. One other thing I'm really enjoying about the book is the lakes that are in the book that I didn't know of. It even has a few lakes that are only accessible by hiking to them. It's definitely one to add to your fishing book collection. And one other thing I didn't specify is, it's not just a trout fishing book. It lists salmon steelhead and kokanee where they're available. Its just mostly about trout as that's mostly what's in the Mt. Hood lakes.

P
PTownAngler
Here's a pic of the back cover. 5e63ca6df5537bff4b7dea5b20d7babf.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
Awesome. Thanks again, for sharing.

M
mustardthetrout
I love fishing the Mt. Hood area. Anyone know where I could get a copy?

troutdude
troutdude
www.garylewisoutdoors.com

or probably any sporting goods retail outlet, local fly shops, etc. etc. ESPECIALLY in the Portland area.

P
PTownAngler
mustardthetrout said:
I love fishing the Mt. Hood area. Anyone know where I could get a copy?
I got mine at the Oregon City Fisherman's Marine & Outdoor for $24.99. Amazon carries it too. And just like Troutdude said, garylewisoutdoors.com has it. He carries other good books too, I'd check out Gary Lewis's website if I were you. His book "Oregon Lake Maps & Fishing Guide" is on my list to purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: PorkChopExpress
O
olshiftybiscuits
I didn't find the information to be particularly realistic. It's an extremely hopeful overview of the fishing opportunities on Mount Hood. What would be more helpful is detailed information on access points, how to fish the many different conditions you'll see on Mount Hood during the open season. Book has a ton of promise and is a great starting point. But it makes Mount Hood sound like one of the best fishing destinations in the state and most fly fishers would make better use of their time going a half hour further out to the Deschutes or McKenzie.