Mt. Hood small streams with a spinning rod

U
upstate88
I am in the Mt. Hood region and there is a lot of small water that does not get much traffic and would like to get in there with my spinning gear. I like to fly fish but the learning curve stinks and I am trying to self teach and that makes it even tougher. Does anyone have any experience fishing these small steams with light spinning gear.

I am thinking...
  • Tiny crank baits
  • beads
  • gulp minnows
  • jigs
  • spinners

jamisonace
jamisonace
Use a bobber and a fly with your spinning rod. In the summer, dry flys will work all day.

upstate88 said:
I am in the Mt. Hood region and there is a lot of small water that does not get much traffic and would like to get in there with my spinning gear. I like to fly fish but the learning curve stinks and I am trying to self teach and that makes it even tougher. Does anyone have any experience fishing these small steams with light spinning gear.

I am thinking...
  • Tiny crank baits
  • beads
  • gulp minnows
  • jigs
  • spinners

P
pinstriper
I've used small roostertails on small trout streams, dunno why that wouldn't work on Mt. Hood.

M
Mutiny
If it's a stream it's probably closed for trout until the last weekend of May.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Mutiny said:
If it's a stream it's probably closed for trout until the last weekend of May.

good point, trout is closed in most streams. also, the big stream/tidewater trout opener as of 2016 is fixed at a specific date, ODFW decided to make it the same date every year and also wanted to make sure it was never later than the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, and that is May 22. So occasionally, trout will now open the Saturday or Sunday of the weekend before Memorial Day...

U
upstate88
I was just trying to get information for next spring and summer, i do nt think about much other than fishing.

troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace said:
Use a bobber and a fly with your spinning rod.

X2. I've caught literally hundreds of trout, with such a set up. It works ridiculously well, with a torpedo bobber & Woolly Bugger in Olive Green, or black. Add a BB sized split shot, if you want/need to go sub-surface.

torpedo bobber.jpg

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
First - float & fly is great. Float & jig is equally great.

Second - check the regs - ODFW's streamlining has eliminated April openers and pushed it all to May OR opened it year round. I'm excited as a kid in a candy store because almost all my favorite small waters are going year round in 3 days. Yeee! The Mt. Hood streams may be closed, but lots of water in the valley is opening up to 12 months of fishing instead of 5.

Third - spinners work reeeally well in small streams. Panther marten, mepps, and rooster tails are my go to, in that order anymore. Rooster tail QC has gone to crap lately and I find I have to tweak my spinners out of the package to get the blade to turn right. Not a problem with the other two. Not sure what gives. Favorite color combos for me are gold blade/ black body, rainbow trout, silver blade / hot pink body, gold blade / brown body. Good stuff.

Small crank baits work well too - think tiny though.

Good luck man. If you have the chance to get weekdays off - I'm in the market for a fishing partner this year. I plan on hitting some small streams with fly and spinning gear this winter and spring. Would be happy to try to get you into some trout. My days off are tuesday and wednesday right now, with Wednesday being my usual day to fish.

U
upstate88
Awesome replies I thank everyone

F
Fish
Panther Martins + 2lb test + 5 foot rod + small spinning real + deet = good times.