Mt Hood Pond

OREGON FISHING FORUM

troutdude

Mt Hood Pond

Is this pond for kids only?
No intention to even remotely sound impolite here, but don't you have a reg book? You'll find it on pg. 53.

It's restricted to kids age 17 and under, or peeps w/ a valid Disabled Angler permit.

beaverfan

Really? They changed it? Last year it was youth only from April to September and the rest of the year it was open to everyone. If they made it a year round youth pond I sure hope they bumped up security there! I was there last march and almost got jumped by some gang banger who was obviously going to try to rob me.

alm21

No intention to even remotely sound impolite here, but don't you have a reg book? You'll find it on pg. 53.

It's restricted to kids age 17 and under, or peeps w/ a valid Disabled Angler permit.
Yes, but that restriction is from April 1-Aug 31. ODFW reports recent stocking of broods but I don't know how recent. I've never fished there but thinking about taking the kids out there this afternoon.

troutdude

Yes, but that restriction is from April 1-Aug 31. ODFW reports recent stocking of broods but I don't know how recent. I've never fished there but thinking about taking the kids out there this afternoon.

The reg's does say that this limitation/restriction (for kids only), is from April 1st to August 31st. However, it is NOT clear to me, that it is open any other time for any adults.

If I were wanting to fish there...I would NOT go until I first called ODFW for clarification.

Just a thought, I wouldn't want to see anyone get fined.

beaverfan

It is in fact open year round, they stock it through out the winter with brooders every year.

In fact I just checked odfw's weekly recreation report says this about it.

"MT HOOD POND: trout

Stocked recently with 60 rainbow trout brood trout ranging in size from 8 to 18 pounds. The pond is located on the Mt. Hood Community College campus"

Last edited:

troutdude

It is in fact open year round, they stock it through out the winter with brooders every year.

In fact I just checked odfw's weekly recreation report says this about it.

"MT HOOD POND: trout

Stocked recently with 60 rainbow trout brood trout ranging in size from 8 to 18 pounds. The pond is located on the Mt. Hood Community College campus"
Hey bevah, I'm honestly NOT attempting to argue with you (or anyone) about this. But, it really is confusing the reg book.

Here it is verbatim...

Instructions:
1. Read the Special Regulations for this zone. Special Regulations apply to specific bodies of water or portions of water within a
zone. If specific references to a body of water, species, catch limits, length limits, seasons, or other specifications are not made in
the Special Regulations for this zone, then Zone Regulations apply.

[so wouldn't this indicate that the reverse is also true? that if the zone reg's do not apply, that you must revert to and obey the Special regs?]

Here are the Special Regulations...

Mt. Hood Pond (Multnomah Co.)
• Angling restricted to youths age 17 and under or holders of one of the Disabled Anglers permits from April 1-Aug. 31.

Here are the Zone Regulations...

Regulations for this zone:

Lakes: 5 per day,2 daily limits inpossession.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams. See exceptions
under Special Regulations where use of bait is allowed.
• 8-inch minimum length.
• Only 1 trout over 20 inches in length may be taken per day.
• Rainbow trout over 20 inches are considered steelhead in streams.
Lakes: Open all year.

Now, my interpretation of this information is that...

Special Regulations OVERRULE the Zone Regulations. And that would mean that this lake is ONLY open for kids from 4/1 - 8/31.

So, this is why I am suggesting that you call ODFW. Because all of this is about as clear as mud. Again, I just don't want to see anyone get ticketed (and have to give our state coffers even more of your hard earned money).

Thanks for hearing me out...I'm only trying to be helpful here!

TD

Last edited:

beaverfan

The special regulations take effect April 1st. Until then it goes by zone wide regulations, and is open year round like most of the ponds in the Portland area. You can call and check if you want but I'm telling ya it's open, and has been for years and years.

troutdude

The special regulations take effect April 1st. Until then it goes by zone wide regulations, and is open year round like most of the ponds in the Portland area. You can call and check if you want but I'm telling ya it's open, and has been for years and years.

Beav, you could easily be right about this. I am only trying to err on the side of caution, since our "illustrious" regulation book is a clear as mud. Isn't it nice to know that we are taxed up the wazzu, for non-clarity and typo's?:confused:

[the N. Santiam is listed, for example, as opening for trout on May 23rd...while all other streams are listed as May 22nd!]

Again, just trying to be helpful.

BTW, I'm stoked that the BEAVS stomped the waddlers yesterday!!! :dance::clap::lol::cool::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Dastanli

Just went to mt.hood pond for the first time yesterday for the unscheduled brooders that were around 19inch. Not the prettiest place to fish but caught my limit. Only thing frustrating thing about the experience is the a group of white trash kids looking to be in middle school cussing/yelling and being just being plain obnoxious even after I told them to keep it down and be respectful to the other people around them. Only fishing spot that I have ever experience these punk ass little shits. First time in the town/pond. Is this place know to have trashy kids fishing often? The college students/adults where all very respectful.

95fordranger

Just went to mt.hood pond for the first time yesterday for the unscheduled brooders that were around 19inch. Not the prettiest place to fish but caught my limit. Only thing frustrating thing about the experience is the a group of white trash kids looking to be in middle school cussing/yelling and being just being plain obnoxious even after I told them to keep it down and be respectful to the other people around them. Only fishing spot that I have ever experience these punk ass little shits. First time in the town/pond. Is this place know to have trashy kids fishing often? The college students/adults where all very respectful.
What bait, time of day ?

Troutier Bassier

Dastanli;n602877 said:
Poor guy haha

Dastanli

There was an officer checking licenses. But the brats came afterwards. I don't blame the kids since they probably were never taught any manners or respect. Moving along, I started fishing around 9:30pm using powerbait. First fish I caught was crazy. I threw in my lines and just gazed around since it was my first time there. I looked down at the shore and noticed a clump of weeds swaying back and forth slowly. Thought it was a little odd since the weeds around the surrounding area weren't moving at all so I looked a little closer and saw a clump of line near the water that someone didn't care to dispose of. I grabbed it and started to pull and noticed that the line went into the water. I kept pulling until something started pulling back!!! There was a freakin fish on the line. Couple guys next to me saw and apparently the line used to belong to one of the guys. But they didn't catch anything and moved over one. I pulled in the fish and threw him on my stringer and gave the plastic worm and roostertail back to the guys since he wanted it back. He didn't look too happy about me keeping the fish since him and his buddies didn't get anything yet. But fuck it, fair game since they ditched their lines and move. Nice 19inch brooder. Felt bad for the guys though. Out of the four of them not a single one caught a fish.

Top Bottom