Moving from Vegas to Coos Bay, how's the salt bite?

I
ihuntforfish
I'm a kayak fishing guide from Las Vegas, leaving home to finish my degree in marine biology in Coos Bay. I'm very sad to leave the Colorado River and Lake Mead, but am equally as stoked to fish all of the water that Oregon has. I'm especially interested in the salt since I've never lived on the coast before--hows the tuna fishing on the coast? I've looked up some videos, but can't tell if it's a good representation of the fishing community out there! Look forward to info and meeting

T
troutmasta
Hey Welcome to OFF-

I myself am a fisheries management major at OSU. Tuna fishing is always good but youre not doing it in a yak. They usually run 30 miles out if not more. We got lucky with El Nino last year. You should look into trolling the bays for salmon or fishing the reefs OFF shore for ling cod and rock fish!

Tight Lines-
TM

I
ihuntforfish
NICE! You're around Corvallis I'm assuming? Best of luck to you brother, we might need to get together and talk fish. Ling cod looks like some sweet action--but the salt, it's all totally foreign to me man lol. I'll be moved in around New Years. Thanks for the info

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Moving from Vegas to Coos Bay, how's the salt bite?

welcome to OFF! you will also want to check out northwestkayakanglers.com , several very active folks in the Coos bay area.

G
Gulfstream
There are lots of possibilities here in Coos Bay.Crabbing'clams fish.I love it here! Welcome to the forum! These guys are GREAT! Check your messages

F
Fishing Ham
Your gonna love it kid. Anytime you want on the water let me know. Open invite.
FISHING HAM.

C
Calir1
Be careful what you ask for. The Coos will hook you. I know you are asking about salt, but the fresh around the area is fairly decent as well. It's addicting.

I
Iki Jime
This forum needs a "like" button. I guess I'm too used to Facebook.

My mother and half brother lived in Henderson for several years, and I would make the trip to spend time around the holidays.

I'm a newb to fishing and also am learning how to fish our great resources.

Majoring in Sociology, but love environmental sciences. Welcome to the forum.

James

Reactions: Ikijime
A
autofisher
Welcome the forum and when you get here, to Oregon as well. First, after living in Reedsport and working in Coos Bay for a while, I can tell you to be prepared in a serious decline in the amount of people you find in your typical "attractive" category. Second, I can tell you that there are some absolutely fantastic stretches of water to fish where you're at. From little dinker trout at Lake Marie, to getting out on a big boat and hitting the halibut hole out of Winchester Bay, you'll be able to scratch whatever kind of fishing itch you'll have. I think you'll be surprised with the variety at your disposal both in salt and fresh waters. However you choose to wet your line, hammer down and have a great time.

And if you ever happen to be in Reedsport, perhaps to get some lumber or tools, stop in at Umpqua Building Supply and ask for Ed Balfour. When he comes out, give him the bird and tell him Lowe's is cheaper.

Reactions: Ikijime and troutmasta
M
martin s.
Welcome to coos bay, fishing is great in the area, the salt water is really rough at this time, use extreme caution in a yak. sunset beach is the normal place to launch and practice. the ocean is not lake Mead and can be unforgiving. out by the rocks at the bay entry you'll find good ling and bottom fish. the bay has good surf perch and sea bass fishing. popular spots are the cribs and the pilings along the shore of empire, just jig baits. surf perch are spawning as we speak, providing limits of adult fish in the 12 to 18 in range. Empire lakes have just been with 3000 rainbow trout, don't target the small ones, the hold over trout from last year have become active, go for them. 14 to 23 in. this should keep you busy for a couple of weeks. good luck and again welcome. if you you need more info, just ask.

Reactions: ChezJfrey
M
martin s.
autofisher.......ahsome quote, great movie;