Motor boat on Sandy question

L
lizzay
Hi guys, I was wondering if Im able to bring my boat down to sandy river? I have a 16ft. Smokercraft. I was searching on the web but couldnt find any specific info. I did see that it could be dangerous? Would I be able fish alone? Thank you in advance for any input.

T
troutmasta
I would say no. You need a drift boat or a pontoon.

M
Modest_Man
troutmasta said:
I would say no. You need a drift boat or a pontoon.

No you don't. Tons of guys fish out of sleds on the lower river.

D
DrTheopolis
Depending on how deep your hull, and the river level, you may or may not be able to make it a ways above Lewis & Clark.

T
troutmasta
I guess tons of guys do it. Go for it! Let us know how you do!

O
OnTheDrop
Unless you have a jet I'd stick to a drift boat.

D
Dizzy Fisherman
You can only use a motor on the lower river. The deadline for using a motor is the top end of Dabney Park.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Definitely want a jet if going upriver from Dabney.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Make that Dabney ramp to upper end of park.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

T
troutmasta
OnTheDrop said:
Unless you have a jet I'd stick to a drift boat.

:thumb:

L
lizzay
Im guessing I should just fish the banks to be safe. Thank you all for the inputs.

D
DrTheopolis
As an alternative, if you'd prefer to fish from your boat, you can launch just downstream of the Sandy mouth at Chinook Landing on the Colunbia, and motor up to the mouth. I haven't been there in a while, but the mouth itself often silts up, and makes it difficult to motor up the Sandy, although it may be possible at this time (someone here should know).

NOTE: Once the springers start showing in good numbers, the C at the mouth of the Sandy can get...crowded.

L
lizzay
Thank you for the great input Dr. I'll probably have to give that a try despite the crowd.