Morgan Lake is closed

troutdude
troutdude
ODFW PRESS RELEASE

Jan. 2, 2013

LA GRANDE — The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife has announced a temporary rule closing Morgan Lake to fishing, effective Jan. 1, 2013. Traditionally Morgan Lake has been closed from Oct. 31 to the fourth Saturday in April each year. However, an inadvertent omission in the 2013 Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations has led several anglers to question if Morgan Lake was now going to be open year round.

“I’ve heard from several fisherman who noticed the omission of the Morgan Lake special regulation and wanted to know if the lake would now be open for ice fishing,” said Tim Bailey, La Grande district fish biologist. “It was not our intention to change management of this lake so we have implemented the temporary rule to close the lake to winter fishing.”

The lake is owned and operated by the City of La Grande, which closes access to the lake when it’s not open for fishing. The winter access closure minimizes maintenance needs and vandalism of facilities at the lake.

The temporary rule closes Morgan Lake to fishing from Jan. 1 through April 26, 2013. The lake will re-open per tradition on April 27.

C
colt
Thanks for that update. I saw that in the fishing regulations and it wasn't in there, so I was trying to find out more about that from some friends. They all said it's supposed to be closed and I told them about the regs and they shook their heads confused about this.

I'm glad I didn't head up there and try to sneak in, not knowing it really is closed.

H
HikeNFish
I'm new to the La Grande area and am looking to get ready to start fishing around here and am looking for fun/dog friendly places. Is this lake one? As you can see by my name I love to hike into lakes and go fishing. Any suggestions?

C
colt
HikeNFish said:
I'm new to the La Grande area and am looking to get ready to start fishing around here and am looking for fun/dog friendly places. Is this lake one? As you can see by my name I love to hike into lakes and go fishing. Any suggestions?

Morgan Lake is a good place to go for some basic stocked trout. There aren't very many trophies there, but I have caught a few that were over 13 inches. It's not much of a hike to get around the lake but it's a start. It is dog friendly, and I see many dogs running around when people take their walks around the lake.

Another place to check out is Thief Valley Resevoir, when the water comes back. Since there is a creek that runs into the resevoir, the trout will spawn and after 3 years of water being kept in, you will surely find some trophies there, especially during ice fishing season. It's located out between Union and North Powder. Just take pyles canyon road and there will be signs that are there, just have to use some common sense to actually find the lake which isn't too hard. Bit of a drive though.

There is a private pond outside of cove that I believe still is open to the public for bass fishing. The water is a bit low and the bass sizes aren't very large but it's just a place to hang out and have some fun.

I think that's about what I can think of, off the top of my head.

Sorry, been awhile since I've been here and got an email saying there was an update to this forum. Been a long time coming for me to come back haha.

troutdude
troutdude
I visited there ONCE, some 7 or 8 years ago. What I vividly recall, is the lack of places to go fishing. But, you might take a look at the Walla Walla River. Just be sure to be careful, of the Rattlers.