"MORE TO COME" My way of fishing

Casting Call
Casting Call
Here's how I set the hook! Draw back from 9:00 O'clock to 11:00 O'clock taking the slack out of the line to feel the bite. NEXT: set the hook moderate to heavy to the 1:00 O'clock position depending on targeted fish, remember your rod will deliver only a portion of your power NEXT: draw back slowly to the three O'clock position and wait for the pulldown most of the time the pulldown will take you back to the11:00 O'clock position (don't go there on your own the fish will take you there) keeping the slack out of the line. Then you're on your own style. A few of hints; if you see you have a good hook set let your fish run a little, if you want to make the fish turn after a short run, strum the line, (they hate the strumming) and the fish will change nose direction with the help of the current. Two last hints, net from the underside tail first (can't see the net coming) last, most fish can't swim backwards so alongside of the boat/whatever pull the fish gill high out of the water it will make act like a bobber and suck lots of air and drown themselves GL Tony

jamisonace
jamisonace
I can't figure out if you're joking or serious???

Reactions: Snopro
Casting Call
Casting Call
Hey! jamisonace try it you'll like. LOL Tony

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
It depends on what I'm fishing for but I rarely "set the hook". It's more of a lift and put pressure. I have to admit it is fun though. I get my fill when I'm bottom fishing.

On my boat people get yelled at for setting the hook. It's more of a "let it eat, let it eat, Ok lift" scenario. Oh and more yelling if the rod tip is above eye level when we're side drfting.

To each his own.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Us old salts have perfected our own styles. "My way of fishing" is a base line for beginners and the unknowing. Angler instructor ODFW #5095. Tony

plumbertom
plumbertom
Depends on what I'm fishing for and the type of hook I'm using.
Some hooks like worm hooks or bait holder style straight shank require a solid jerk to get the twist into the hook and also pull it through the plastic worm or bait that it is hidden in.
Others like circle and octopus hooks if you hard set them they will just slide out of the fish mouth, so you just want to let them bite and pull until they load the rod. Those hooks are made to catch in the corner of the mouth.

S
Snopro
Casting Call said:
Here's how I set the hook! Draw back from 9:00 O'clock to 11:00 O'clock taking the slack out of the line to feel the bite. NEXT: set the hook moderate to heavy to the 1:00 O'clock position depending on targeted fish, remember your rod will deliver only a portion of your power NEXT: draw back slowly to the three O'clock position and wait for the pulldown most of the time the pulldown will take you back to the11:00 O'clock position (don't go there on your own the fish will take you there) keeping the slack out of the line. Then you're on your own style. A few of hints; if you see you have a good hook set let your fish run a little, if you want to make the fish turn after a short run, strum the line, (they hate the strumming) and the fish will change nose direction with the help of the current. Two last hints, net from the underside tail first (can't see the net coming) last, most fish can't swim backwards so alongside of the boat/whatever pull the fish gill high out of the water it will make act like a bobber and suck lots of air and drown themselves GL Tony
How I set the hook varies a ton depending on the gear I'm using and the fish I'm hooking.

Take fly gear for example. If I'm hooking a bass or a big chum I'm going to use a strip set. Fishing in a lake under an indicator and I'll use the straight up overhead trout set. Steelhead take on a swinging fly and it's going to be a cross body set. That's three ways of setting the hook and I've only talked about fly fishing. Spinning and casting gear have at least as many hook set variations.

Instead of strumming your line like Willie Nelson, try changing your rod angle on the fish to stop a run or tire it more quickly.

I'd like to hear more about your method of netting fish. When I see someone trying to net a fish tail first, "Rookie" is the term immediately popping into my head. I've watched countless fish lost this way. Head first only in my boat and for the reason you bring up in your last comment, "most fish can't swim backwards". Least you think it's a personal opinion thing, watch a guide on the water or YouTube, they will never net tail first.

Speaking of your last comment, "most fish can't swim backwards so alongside of the boat/whatever pull the fish gill high out of the water it will make act like a bobber and suck lots of air and drown themselves". I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call said:
Us old salts have perfected our own styles. "My way of fishing" is a base line for beginners and the unknowing. Angler instructor ODFW #5095. Tony
WOW! Thank you all for your replies. J-ace, plumber t, c c, and s-pro I consider old salts. Respectfully your style and equipment are your own. Again, Iam sure that beginners and unknowing will have gained some insights to our world. Suffocation = not being able to breath normal.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Too many variables but a great discussion. This fall I was fishing for Chinook in Roseburg. I do it a little different than most but it's all basically a trolled presentation so not much difference in technique from other trollers. As I was launching one day there was a really loud guy telling his fishing buddy what to do to set the hook. He kept repeating, "If you feel the slightest nibble, set the hook as hard as you can! I mean, set it like you mean it! As fast and as hard as you can!" My buddy and I got a good chuckle. In my boat when that rod buries, we admire it, we talk about it, we listen to some line peel off the reel and after I've given the drift boat a few good oar strokes, we grab the rod and fight the fish. If you lunge for the rod and grab it I'll verbally abuse you and make you cry.

Casting Call
Casting Call
J- ace I totally agree with your technique. I like to let my prey just run with it, turning will usually set the hook till I see how well the hook is set/size/drag tension needed then I'll respond as needed. A note to beginners do as I say, not do as I do and develop your own style. Tony

Last edited:
Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
My technique of choice is side drifting. The reason people lose fish when they set the hook while side drifting is because often times the fish does not eat the bait as it passes but instead the fish turns and eats it as they are swimming downstream. If you set, you'll likely pull the hook out of its mouth. But if you wait through the little bites until it turns back and you feel the deep pull you'll hook it.

Just had it happen yesterday on a chinook. I had what seemed like a trout biting but I waited through about 3 or 4 seconds of nibbles and when it turned back around it was game on. ...And then I lost it at the boat.

Reactions: Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
Amen Brother! Tony