More power!

T
Thuggin4Life
So I just went and checked out the motor I will be getting next friday! Its a 1999 Mercury 15hp SS 2S! Just what I need. The 9.9 I got in october is sweat but My boat could go faster so now it will(even though I had to take the plate off that said 7.5 it could deffinantly do a 15 maybe not much more and a bit scary solo). My only concern will be putting weight in the front of the boat when going out solo since the 9.9 bounces the bow a bit and have to put the spare gas tank in the bow to counteract the bounce. Maybe I wount be running full trottle solo but with 2 guys I should be hauling a$$ and 3 guys should be tolerable and I do fish 3 a lot more than I like to and the 9.9 just isn't enough for three guys. My only concer is trolling speed but there is a trolling plat to go with it so I should be fine. If not I'll drag a bucket and deal with it just to be able to have more top end. Only problem is I can't get it until next friday but I talked the guy into holding it for me and didn't try to barter with him(very nice of him to do so). Only worry is even though it was on a drift boat with a cut in the transom to drop a motor in I wonder how many times the motor may have not sucked water for a bit. You always hear about guys burning up motors on drift boats. cheap fix if it doesn't pump enough. Thought it wasn't up to par but come to find out there is a thermostat involved so that could be why it looked like it wasn't pumping much water. Really similar to the 9.9 I have so It should feel just the same. Can't wait till next friday now I am going to have a hard time sleeping. And I have to get anyone who wants to fish with me regularlly to get a boaters card and drive me until I can get mine on june 3rd but in the end it will be sweat. Now I can focus on the cosmetics of the boat and fixing those ****ing leaky rivets. Then the trailer cosmetics. Man boats are expensive.

Last edited:
S
stream2.5
Thuggin4Life said:
Man boats are expensive.

B BREAK
O OUT
A ANOTHER
T THOUSAND

need i say more....

as for trolling speed the only difference between a 15 and 9.9 is the carburator, and intake side porting of the block (larger ports) and a 1 pitch increase in propeller pitch,

so the speed is minimally higher simply due to the increased forward movenemt of the propeller... but if the 15 has a 9" propeller they will troll the same... but give a few more mph on top in the way of a about 500 more rpm of throttle.. a 9.9 pushing 2 people or even 3 is lucky to see above 5000 RPM where as a 15 may see 5500-6000 with same propeller and load which equals about 3 or MAYBE 4 MPH... expect about 22 mph top speed with your boat and a 15 whenn everything is ballanced and right..

if it starts bow hopping try moving weight both back and forward... sometimes the weight is just slightly to far forward and movinng back will free the hull up and it will smooth out with more weight in the stern.. but it could be the other way as well.. and you will have to adjust the angle of the engine negitive and add weight to the bow... but if you start with the engine level or maybe up one pin as long as you can get the boat on pllane without lossing propeller bite and can controll the porpus the 15 will serve you well....

as for the HP plate... put it back on... NO agency enforces max hp ratings.. and a 8 hp and 15 hp mercs weigh the same ammount... so technically you have not yet exceeded the hulls overall engine capacity.. and also removing the capacity plate for the total capacity of the hulls legally allowed to carry is a 475.00 fine if the hull were to ever get inspected... nobody will say a word about the hp.

as for your boaters card... take it online.... its for over age of 12 and also if ya want toslightly cheat a 6 hp cowl is identical to the 15.... thus interchange and then you can have a sleeper... just do not tamper with the SN plate on the engine

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
stream2.5 said:
B BREAK
O OUT
A ANOTHER
T THOUSAND

need i say more....

as for trolling speed the only difference between a 15 and 9.9 is the carburator, and intake side porting of the block (larger ports) and a 1 pitch increase in propeller pitch,

so the speed is minimally higher simply due to the increased forward movenemt of the propeller... but if the 15 has a 9" propeller they will troll the same... but give a few more mph on top in the way of a about 500 more rpm of throttle.. a 9.9 pushing 2 people or even 3 is lucky to see above 5000 RPM where as a 15 may see 5500-6000 with same propeller and load which equals about 3 or MAYBE 4 MPH... expect about 22 mph top speed with your boat and a 15 whenn everything is ballanced and right..

if it starts bow hopping try moving weight both back and forward... sometimes the weight is just slightly to far forward and movinng back will free the hull up and it will smooth out with more weight in the stern.. but it could be the other way as well.. and you will have to adjust the angle of the engine negitive and add weight to the bow... but if you start with the engine level or maybe up one pin as long as you can get the boat on pllane without lossing propeller bite and can controll the porpus the 15 will serve you well....

as for the HP plate... put it back on... NO agency enforces max hp ratings.. and a 8 hp and 15 hp mercs weigh the same ammount... so technically you have not yet exceeded the hulls overall engine capacity.. and also removing the capacity plate for the total capacity of the hulls legally allowed to carry is a 475.00 fine if the hull were to ever get inspected... nobody will say a word about the hp.

as for your boaters card... take it online.... its for over age of 12 and also if ya want toslightly cheat a 6 hp cowl is identical to the 15.... thus interchange and then you can have a sleeper... just do not tamper with the SN plate on the engine

Someone told me the 8 9.9 and 15 are all basically the same motor. Just with slightly bigger things like carbs bores and stuff I don't know much about so its good to hear some conformation. this 1999 15 looks almost identical to the 1987 9.9. Read online about the 15 and looks like it has the same prop the 9.9 does(9" pitch). I tossed the plate maybe I can order a new one from valco? 3 adults and gear was allways slightly over the weight but the boat would never sit to low in the water to make someonethink we were over weight. The is a forumla to find the weight capacities for a boat so I don't see how it is illegal and would argue that since the cop knows the formula he shouldn't need the plate. I will also have a good excuse for how I missplaced it trying to re do the transom and several other things. and needed it off and haven't finished the projuect but will be putting it on when I am finished. I read about interchangable cowlings and don't think I could pass a blue evinrude 6 off on top of a 15 merc. But I will be trying to swith out the 9.9 cowl with the 15 until the 9.9 sells to be 007. The thing is is I passed the course just have to by the card but legally I am suspended from opperating boats until june 3rd 2010 and just found out the boat is unregisterable as long as I own it and can't register a boat at all. I passed coat guard checks this fall and got lucky at wickiup,reedsport,and siltcoos by not having cops check me out and just showing life jackets. However if I get stopped close to home shances are its my buddy and he will throw the book at me. So if the hood fits Its going to be there as long as I have the 9.9 just to keep them from wanting to see the card. And Since the state marine board just found out about my suspension the other day and sent me the letter about the registration I will only fish areas where I know I can get away with it or I am having some of my buddys get there cards just to have them and we fish together a lot so I will "sell" them my boat a few days before a trip so that way the will have a dated bill of sale and just haven't swithed the title making the registration legal for them and have them opperate the boat. Man all I have to say is don't get a BUII be safe out there it sucks. Oh and thanks for the info.

F
fishnquest
Congrats on the new motor. Sorry to hear about the hard knocks. Laws are getting more restrictive all the time...

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah thanks think after 3 motors I may have found a keeper. It will troll and still have the speed I want. And its newer than my last 2 so it should last a while. As for the laws I put myself in this position getting as drunk as i did at the lake I did it since i had so many run is with the cop before on that lake. But you live and learn.

M
Mike123
Did you sell the 9.9hp?

T
Thuggin4Life
Nope its for sale wish i could keep the hood for a while but I don't have to use the hood but i will until it sells. its on craglist and on the sell on here. 700 offers 650.

M
Mike123
Thuggin4Life said:
Nope its for sale wish i could keep the hood for a while but I don't have to use the hood but i will until it sells. its on craglist and on the sell on here. 700 offers 650.

Damnit.. I wish boat motors were cheaper. I need a bigger one for the ol' flat bottom boat.

J
joesnuffy
that 9hp would be a great kicker for me but i don't have the cash.....

S
stream2.5
there should be no suspension from REGISTERING a hull as in your ownership.... but USING one is different you can own a boat, a car, a truck a quad ect under suspension... you just cannot use it... its also illegal to hold possession of a titleable item without authorisation from the titled owner without a authorized and signed lein holder agreement..

as for your 9.9 and 15... only difference is shape of top of hood.. they interchange... but mercury sells decal kits...

as for your valco capacity plate.... hope you never ever need to varify your hull number... as that plate is vital to varifying the hull number on the transom.. because geting a copy plate is next to impossible.....

G
GoneFishin2134
Post pictures of the 9.9 ?? We should have a Boat Build-thread on here. I too am currently restoring the boat, with new wood, cabinets, etc...I have a 12' Klamath. I used Rustoleum products, and used rollers and brushes for the Hull of the boat. Good Luck! I have my Boaters card, but I live in P-town. lol

T
Thuggin4Life
There is a link to the add on craigslist in the seel section but think I got it sold not sure though. Talked to my buddy at the marina said they sould get me some stickers. As for the plate talked to a Sherrif said i won't ever need it.