More carp! This time in Bethnay

Y
youkay
Hit up Bethany lake again today to try and hit some of the 20's I keep getting told are in there, fishing brand new tackle from Europe and brand new baits/rigs.

caught 2 really pristine common carp, the first was 11lbs 6, second was 10lb 4.

One day i'll hit the 20's :)

Check out my sexy new unhooking mat! got to christen my new rod, reel, landing net and mat woot!

Last edited by a moderator:
T
TTFishon
Nice looking carp. Did you use the same set up?

T
Troutier Bassier
Hey, I'll PM you this Feburary. Were gonna go fishing.

Y
youkay
nope, this time I used 100% British setup.

12ft 2.75 test curve carp rod, okuma centurion bait runner, 10lb test camo mono. the rig was a 1.75oz fox inline lead to a size 7 chub swivel and 15lb 6inch braid hook length with hair to a size 6 barbless long shank x.

for bait, a single pineapple popup boilie from dynamite baits about half an inch from the bottom.

all set on a royal carp cheapo bite alarm and swinger.

missed 3 bites hitting them way to early, just got way to excited, got the 4th and 5th bites into the net :)

lookin forward to it Troutier Bassier!

D
Drew9870
Youkay,

Could you post a couple pics of your rig, one pic of the whole rig and another up close pic of your hair and hook.

Maybe I will have to order some boilies, I never knew the premade ones actually worked around here.

B
bigfootfish
My God, they make Carp Rods?

My God, they make Carp Rods?

Nice carp. Good fighters, aren't they? I had no idea an angler could buy rods made for carp fishing? Egad!:cool:
Try Alton-Baker Pond, the first and biggest, a mile or less downstream from the canal inlet near the freeway, I-5. There are some 20 something pounders in there. I've had 'em swim by in front of me, while trout fishing. The pond is in Eugene.

BFF

Last edited:
J
joesnuffy
Once you get into the 20's, you'll have to come fish Brownlee Res to get into the 30's......

D
davem
Anyone use fly tackle for carp?

M
Mike123
Holy carp! My cousin lives right by that pond.. I've never thought of fishing it when I visit?!

That's some expensive carp bait your using!

Y
youkay
Mike123 said:
Holy carp! My cousin lives right by that pond.. I've never thought of fishing it when I visit?!

That's some expensive carp bait your using!

if you had any idea how much money ive spent so far on carp tackle and bait....

just got a reply from ODFW about using 2 rods, apparently there will be something printed about it on page 7 of the new 2010 regs hitting stores early next week...

now, to double my setup...

:D

T
Troutier Bassier
Dude, Just use 3 hooks.

B
bigfootfish
Don't forget you can even harpoon them in Oregon!

BFF

T
TTFishon
bigfootfish said:
Don't forget you can even harpoon them in Oregon!

BFF

You can bow fish for them too but I think youkay respects them way too much.

Y
youkay
Yea, I think if i ever saw someone bow for carp in real life we'd have serious issues.

I saw a vid on youtube once and couldn't believe that people called it a sport, its probably the most inhumane way to treat anything I've ever seen. At least hunting and what not you go for a kill shot and try and make it less suffering, with bow fishing its just brutal, drag the poor fish in obviously in agony... bloody horrible.

T
Troutier Bassier
What a coincidence. I was just trying to find a forum about carp fishing.

D
davem
Good website- thanks for starting it. I have always wanted to try some carp fishing because I heard they put up a good fight.:cool:

B
bigfootfish
Are carp fighters?

Are carp fighters?

YES! I was fishing near the mouth of the Long Tom where the overflow channel goes under that bridge and dumps into that side-channel of the Willamette. Bottom-fishing-sliding-sinker-with-worm-and-powerbait. Hooked a fish that fought like all get out. I had only 6 pound test on and was using a 6 1/2' pole. This fish fought me hard. After about 15 minutes it finally got tired and I got it up to the surface to see what kind of fish I had on. I sure didn't expect a river carp!:shock:
However, such was my admiration for that fighting carp that I let it go. The most amazing thing about that carp was it's size. Right at 22 inches. That's all. Now I can imagine the larger ones must put on a battle royale!!:dance::lol:

BFF

D
davem
As far as letting the carp go, does anyone eat carp?

D
davem
Youkay- I assume you are in the UK. I have heard the Carp fishing is a big deal in Europe and a big time sport so you would be a good guy to talk to. Those hooks have a loop at the end. How exactly do you set up the rig? Is any season of the year or time of day better for carp? I've seen carp only along shore lines- otherwise I wouldn't even know they were around. Where do they dwell in larger bodies of water?

J
JSpencer
davem said:
As far as letting the carp go, does anyone eat carp?

My uncle used to have a really great recipe for smoking carp. He's long since lost it though...it's a shame too, was very very good.

Youkay, i live here in Beaverton as well. Do you think 10lb line would be enough to have some fun with carp or should i grab my rod with 20lb braid?