.... More about flies.

F

FlyFish

Lets say hypothetically you worked for a large fly fishing outfitter on the east coast and were relocating to Oregon. You have an opportunity to make some purchases prior to moving west.. what flies would you stock up on for Trout, Salmon and Steele? What sizes?

O

OnTheFly

Mayfly, Caddis, Midge, Chronimid, ant, Hoppers, Stone, Salmonfly, .........................................
Are you looking for specific patterns?

E

everett464

OTF, do you fish a lot of terrestrials?

I have had almost no luck, but I know guys that kill 'em with hoppers, ants, and even HOUSE FLIES!!!! It blows my mind; I suppose I probably present them wrong and/or use them at the wrong times.

James Brown from Home Waters in Eugene told me to throw hoppers when it is windy, but I haven't even had luck then.

O

OnTheFly

OTF, do you fish a lot of terrestrials?

I have had almost no luck, but I know guys that kill 'em with hoppers, ants, and even HOUSE FLIES!!!! It blows my mind; I suppose I probably present them wrong and/or use them at the wrong times.

James Brown from Home Waters in Eugene told me to throw hoppers when it is windy, but I haven't even had luck then.

Hardly at all but probably because I do more work in the yard around August than I fish. Don't most grasshoppers and ants come on then? A customer of ours invited me to fish his pond one day. It was later on in the summer so I showed up with grasshopper patterns. Perhaps the fish in there would have taken anything but the hopper didn't last 10 seconds. Also, I've been told never leave home without ant patterns.

Last edited:
Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
FlyFish.....If I where headed out here from the east I'd pick up a copy of "Flies of THE Northwest" Frank Amato Publishing Portland, Or. There are tons of good flies to pick from there.

For trout along with Everette and OnThe Flys' suggestions I'd toss in a few woolly buggers for sure and I'd never leave home without a green woolly bugger. To really pinpoint an answer for you it would depend on the time of year and which water you plan to fish. That's why I offer the book as a suggestion. For Salmon and steelhead add egg patterns to your box for sure.

I've had luck with terrestrials but for me is was a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Those ants work great if you are in the Cascades fishing by big timber in the late spring when those carpenter ants start flying. I fish close to a nice stand of trees and hope for just a little wind. Laurence Lake has been a good ant lake for me.

Laurance Lake

Fish Lake in the Steens Mountains in August has been a good place to wip out the hoppers. You know it's going to be good when you walk through the dry grass here it crunch and see hoopers fleeing to avoid you feet. They also work well on the Donner & Blitzen River in the Steens.

Steens Mountain: Stay at Fish Lake at Steens Mountain

Last edited:
F

FlyFish

Thanks all - that is good advice. I have some books on the way - and will pick up some terrestrials. Typically, I drown nymphs - so this will be a fun diversion.

E

everett464

I would say don't give up on the nymphs; nymphing still produces 85% of the fish I catch.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
I would say don't give up on the nymphs; nymphing still produces 85% of the fish I catch.
That's the truth! I met fellow OFF member Jamisonace up on the middle Deschutes. We fished for a couple hours. He was doing nymphs and landed about seven fish. I was being the stubborn old guy tying to draw them to the surface durning a march brown hatch and never landed a fish. Nymphs catch fish.

E

everett464

I was being the stubborn old guy tying to draw them to the surface durning a march brown hatch

If I don't get a rise within the first few casts during a hatch, I'll almost always switch to a nymph, and rock it underneath the hatch, just to catch 'em off guard.

I got caught under HAyden Bridge during a blizzard Grannom hatch early this spring with two other guys. They were both throwing out march brown patterns, and couldn't get anything, but my mega prince pulled in two good sized rainbows. They were pissed.

F

FlyFish

HAHA!!! Now that's the kind of fishin' I'm tawkin about. How many times have I been the guy wonderin' just what the heck kind of fish pellet immitation / worm laced / electro-plated fly the guy next to me was slingin' to catch all the fish.... but on the days that I am the rock star on the water - man o' man it feels gooooood. Good play on the mega price - I will file that away in my roladex for future use.

H

halibuthitman

most terestrials fish best after a modest little rainstorm.. if it rains a touch when im on the water I usally instantly go to a black ant, mabe a beattle. out of the 7898365890,09849438398,0484949434,94758484,9484884949, fly patterns in existance, about 60 of them will catch any fish anywhere in north america. all the rest are just variations of everything else.

M

mtangler

This would be my short list for Montana fly fishing. They will work well all across the west:

wooley buggers
prince nymphs
pheasant tails
royal pmx
yellow stimulator
elk hair caddis
black and brown girdle bugs
parachute adams
chernobyl ant
grand hopper

O

OnTheFly

This would be my short list for Montana fly fishing. They will work well all across the west:

wooley buggers
prince nymphs
pheasant tails
royal pmx
yellow stimulator
elk hair caddis
black and brown girdle bugs
parachute adams
chernobyl ant
grand hopper
All of your listed flies are of the 'go to' variety for sure. Thanks for sharing. Oh and by the way, that bit you posted of Montana???.........Stop teasing!:cool:

F

FishFinger

Adams, Adams irresistible, Wulffs, Paraduns, ummmmmmm there are more

Top Bottom