Moonshine Park

brandon4455
brandon4455
I and dad wanted to go steelhead & salmon fishing and had heard moonshine park was a great spot. We traveled all along the highway trying to find it for a good hour and a half with no success. This is a stupid question but.. can anyone give me some directions? And is there an easy access point to the gorge? I plan on hitting this river for summer steelhead and trout. And keep in mind I'm on the way to that river and I pitch on gas. So let me know if you need a fishing buddy ;) thanks in advance

brandon

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Summit highway, take a right on the Logsden Highway, turns to gravel for a few miles, then back to pavement, continue west, right onto Moonshine Park rd, and it will go straight to the park. To far would equal taking the first bridge over the Siletz, and the Logsden store is on the left, immediately across the bridge. Turn around and go back across the bridge, take a left up river, and you're golden .Park takes a fee, and if you plan to just spend a day trip bank fishing, though there is a great hole at the park, I wouldnt bother with fishing it unless you plan to camp there. Just before you reach the park, is a large gravel mainline that parallels the Siletz, thats your ticket up the gorge. Take that road, and on the weekends, its legal access as high as you want to go. Week days its posted 1 mile up, but is good fishing access with park and walk in, or you may also cross wild cat bridge that crosses right at the sign, and there are a few holes down stream accessed from that side, or another gate that goes up stream from there that has a few holes to access.

brandon4455
brandon4455
holy s*** man think there is enough info there? LOL thanks so much for the help. ill have dad read it so he can see where he made his mistake and everything.

brandon

S
SantiamDrifter
You can google moonshine park and see the google map.

C_Run
C_Run
This year I "discovered" the Siletz. Don't know why I never went before but that upper area is great. I think RunWith Sasquatch's directions start off hwy 20 west of Philomath across from the Burnt Woods store where you go right towards Summit. So, you'd probably head out from Dallas on the Kings Valley hwy.
The brochure at the boat ramps says, regarding the gorge on weekdays, "bicycles and walk-in are welcome, but please use caution and yield to truck traffic." I went on a weekday a few weeks ago and can attest to the truck traffic part as there seemed to be a loaded log truck every couple of minutes and they don't stop for anything. The good part was that I was up there all day and had the whole place to myself. Did not see one other fisherman and went two for two plus some hefty trout slamming my spoon. Not bad for a novice steelheader like myself. I recommend it. Oh yeah, the other time I went I noticed other folks parking outside the park to save the $3 parking fee at Moonshine and fishing the bank through the park where there are some nice spots too.

C_Run
C_Run
Sorry....one more thing. I know there is a more direct, less mileage way to get to that area from Dallas involving going out through the old Valsetz site on back roads. My friend from Dallas goes that way but I don't know it. Get a good map of the county.

brandon4455
brandon4455
I've gone up valsetz road many times. I'm sure dad knows his way over. I've been up to the flats way up there at the old lake bed before. I'm pretty sure it's a straight shot instead of going all the way around.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Its a straight shot, but not an option when things dry out, Forest Capitol will have Valsetz locked down from fire danger when late spring/summer rolls around. Its probably only 15-20 minutes out of Valsetz to the Deadline. And again, only an option on Sat-Sun

G
GoldFishSlayer
turn right at boldget store not burnt woods from there you pretty much stay on the same road you will also see signs to moonshine I think everytime you need to turn love that place

A
alseaalumaweld
the end of logsten road if you hit gravle turn around and take the other road

S
Sage_Flyguy
This weekend the wife and I along with our best friends and their family are headed to moonshine park. We will each be towing a Travel Trailer. We live in Sweet Home so we will be traveling through Corvallis . I have map quested this park and found a couple ways of getting there.

My question is , I have never been there before and was a bit concerned on how the roads are for towing a trailer. MapQuest has me taking the Summit highway right in Blodgett , I was wondering if driving the extra couple miles into Toledo then taking the Siletz highway would be a better road for us?

Thanks for your suggestions and I hope to get some pictures posted of this weekends steelhead trip to the Siletz.

C
Combat Chuck
Its been a few years but I remember that being narrow and twisty with a gravel section. While towing, I would stick with the hwy. I swear a huge section of that washed out too... I could be wrong but I never heard if it was rebuilt or not.

B
billfisher
There use to be a very low clearance rr trestle through there. I'd stick to the hyw.

S
Sage_Flyguy
Thanks for the Replies guys , I called over there and talked to a guy who works at the park , he suggested taking the highway into Toledo and then heading up the Siletz highway from there. Apparently the summit highway is narrow , windy and has a gravel section that's a couple miles long.

I appreciate the feedback

Jer

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Being from Siletz I would say you can take the Bloggette road throughout the mountains with your trailer. Many people do it. Just a warning though the road turns to gravel up by Green Mountain for I want to say about 4 miles of road but then turns back to pavement once you get from one side of the mountain to the other. I'd say you could drive through summit over Green Mountain just be careful on the gravel and hug the left side of the road

jamisonace
jamisonace
I take the blodgett route from Eugene to Lincoln city just to check out moonshine on the way. You could make it but if you're concerned, save yourself the anxiety and sick to the highway. It will be a much easier drive and it probably won't take any longer.

troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace said:
I take the blodgett route from Eugene to Lincoln city just to check out moonshine on the way. You could make it but if you're concerned, save yourself the anxiety and sick to the highway. It will be a much easier drive and it probably won't take any longer.

X 2. I drove that road many times, in the 80's...when the Rock Creek system was open. The heyday of Ho fishing!

You could certainly do it; as suggested by STK. It is only about 4 miles of gravel and corners. But, like Mr. Ace said--you really probably wouldn't save much in terms of time. So, I also suggest Hwy. 20 and over to Logsden, and the park.

BTW, double-check the regs. I think that the Siletz is only open, below a marker at the boat ramp at Moonshine.

B
bassboy
troutdude said:
X 2. I drove that road many times, in the 80's...when the Rock Creek system was open. The heyday of Ho fishing!

You could certainly do it; as suggested by STK. It is only about 4 miles of gravel and corners. But, like Mr. Ace said--you really probably wouldn't save much in terms of time. So, I also suggest Hwy. 20 and over to Logsden, and the park.

BTW, double-check the regs. I think that the Siletz is only open, below a marker at the boat ramp at Moonshine.

I do not know what you are referring to but the Siletz is open up to the falls all year and Rock Creek is open for both Steelhead and Chinook still.

troutdude
troutdude
Yes, the mainstem of Rock Creek is open. But what I meant--and didn't clarify--was that Big Rock Creek and Little Rock Creek are closed.

And I see that what I had read in the regs--about a deadline marker at the Moonshine boat ramp--apparently only applies to Chinook. Above that marker, Nooks would have to be released. But, it appears that Steelhead retention is OK.

Thanks for pointing that out BB.

J
JustMe
My question is - when I go to this park, where can I buy moonshine:harhar: