Months without "r" / molting

Fattie

Fattie

Has anyone here done any Oregon coast crabbing May-August? (dock crabbing, no boat)
I guess the male dungee's are molting, and their meat is atrophied and bland... But is it across the board? Or could someone go crabbing and catch a few hard shelled tasty crab, while tossing back all the soft shelled with the females and juvee's? I'm wanting to go crabbing if there are still some good harvestable crabs worth sifting for.
Thanks in advance,
Fattie

rogerdodger

rogerdodger

Most Featured
Correct, the molting takes place over several months, during the summer you get a mix, toss back the softies.

I test by squeezing the big segment of the first femur, it is OK if it flexes a bit but not too much. The legs fill with meat before fully hardening up. "Easy eaters" is what I call those.

rogerdodger

rogerdodger

Most Featured
Don't forget the new rules in Oregon to mark your crab pot floats with required identification details!

Fattie

Fattie

Thanks for the info, but i don't use buoys when dock crabbing.

jamisonace

jamisonace

Most Featured
You can find some that are full. I wouldn't say soft crab are bland. However, they require less cooking than full crab and be sure to salt the water you cook them in for best flavor. You will notice significantly less meat in the molting crab.

F

FinderofFish

Has anyone here done any Oregon coast crabbing May-August? (dock crabbing, no boat)
I guess the male dungee's are molting, and their meat is atrophied and bland... But is it across the board? Or could someone go crabbing and catch a few hard shelled tasty crab, while tossing back all the soft shelled with the females and juvee's? I'm wanting to go crabbing if there are still some good harvestable crabs worth sifting for.
Thanks in advance,
Fattie

I've gone before (also from a dock) but didn't have much luck. Outside of September through November the yields aren't too great (meat is subpar, low keeper yield, etc). Maybe it's different for boaters/kayakers but I haven't tried yet.

Oh and always stay up to date on the current regulations before you head out (they're always changing), you can find a full list of them for the state of Oregon @ https://myodfw.com/articles/oregon-shellfish-regulations but there's different laws depending on your region. I also go crabbing up in Washington a lot but I forget the site. https://crabsman.com/resources/ has a good list of all regulatory bodies (mostly Department of Fish & Wildlife websites) so you can check both the state and local rules.

Top Bottom