Month old gas?

H
Herefishyfishy
I haven't ran my boat in a month actually three weeks. I have about 4 gallons of gas in the tank still but didn't use any stabil last time. Opinions on if the gas is still good to use?
BTW I keep my boat in the garage so there may be less moisture in there than outside....?

Last edited:
F
fishtales
What type of motor is it because I have been told that some like to be run more that others so check what the user manual to see if it sais anything.

Is there an easy way to drain the tank and maybe what is sitting in the reservoir? It could save you a tune up or other service on your motor later on. I have a newer dirt bike and it is all gummed up for the same reason. I can still get it to run but it is not very fun! good luck!

T
Thuggin4Life
I have never had a problem with month old gas. what kind of tank is it in?

H
Herefishyfishy
It's in a plastic brand new tank, I plan on adding 2 gallons and taking it out tomorrow but I wanted some opinions. For 1- I don't want to waste $12 in gas- 2- I wouldn't know what to do with it, but most importantly 3- I don't want to rebuild my carb if it is bad.

T
Thuggin4Life
So its a 6 gallon tank i pressume so you should be fine not a lot of mostiure could have built up and by mixing in 2 gallons of fresh gas you should be extra fine.

J
JeannaJigs
My parental, will leave gas in his tank FOREVER....like seriously, the gas that's in there now, has been in there since...I don't even know when, about a month at least, and it will sit in there until he goes out for Coho in November. Seriously. As long as it's not sitting outside, and the tank is in good condition, should be alright.

T
Thuggin4Life
yeah the only issue would be if it was close to empty and sat there for several months. you can fill up your lawn mower and leave it in the shed or garage with a full tank all winter and the gas is good when the grass starts growing again. now do this with a mostly empty tank and you will have problems (trust me i know).

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
Why not in the future buy Clear Gas and start using it for your boats. I go buy it and what I do not use goes to other equipment that I have. Also before you put your moter up for storage, run it in a barrel and then pull the tank supply and let it run out of gas. Before I take off down the road, I always run my motor in a barrel and check the operation, then I leave to go somewhere, I leave the tank hooked up and then I have gas that is under the float in the carb., so that the float does not bang around and screw up the float. Clear gas is more expensive but I do not have isssues with old gummie fuel, so I save on repairs. It all works out.

T
Thuggin4Life
Always run your motor out of gas before pulling it out of the water. I had to clean a carb on a mower that sat with an almost empty tank of clear gas all winter way before the ethanol switch.

C
capblack
your gas should be fine, but i would use stabil from now on, as far as clear gas goes, i wouldnt bother, I have been running ethanol in all my boats, vehicles, quads, mowers, and whatever else runs on gas since the change, and ive never had a problem. i just run the stabilizer in my boat gas, and i regularly let it sit for over a month. Brian