Monteith Park in Albany

R
rainbowfisherman
I will be fishing monteith tomorrow on the willy. Will be banking it. What kind of fish are there? I can fly fish or spin fish. Any ideas?

Thanks

M
michigan_transplant
im curious to see how you do. i live in corvallis, let us know what happens.

C
Combat Chuck
Id hit the Calapooia side for smallmouth. I did that a lot last summer. I tore up my knee and can't do much banking this year or Id have already been down there.

K
ketts05
I'm intrigued to hear how you did as well rnbwfshm. sorry to hear about your knee chuck

M
michigan_transplant
what did you use and where did you start when you hit the calapooia?? i was thinking of doing that sometime soon.

troutdude
troutdude
On the willy side, there are large carp and NPM's. I, too, would fish the Calapooia.

C
Combat Chuck
curly tails, tubes, spinners and spinnerbaits all work the last couple years

T
Throbbit _Shane
I was actually at Monteith Park today, didn't do any fishing though. Just swimming and goofing around :D

L
lilsalmon
Just curious.....did anyone do some fishing in the Calapooia? Want to go with my sons in the morning and was thinking I would go there or is there another place on the Calapooia that is good.

M
michigan_transplant
I went to the Calapooia this weekend. Couldn't keep the smallmouth off my line, problem is that some of them were 3 inches long. Caught a couple that were 10 inches or so, but it got old having my worms stole by little ones.

L
lilsalmon
I have never fished for bass....what else is good to use? Is there other access besides Monteith?

troutdude
troutdude
The Upper Calapooia, south of Sweet Home, used to hold some 'bows. An ol timer I knew, used to limit out every season opener. But, that was 25 years ago. It was also on Weyerhouser land, so you might need permission. The rest as I recall, is private land.

L
lilsalmon
troutdude said:
The Upper Calapooia, south of Sweet Home, used to hold some 'bows. An ol timer I knew, used to limit out every season opener. But, that was 25 years ago. It was also on Weyerhouser land, so you might need permission. The rest as I recall, is private land.

Thanks TD...I knew the gate is closed now on the Weyerhauser land. I want to stick closer to home...

M
michigan_transplant
you can walk down off the HWY 34 bridge.

troutdude
troutdude
I once waded down from Queen St. bridge.

M
michigan_transplant
troutdude said:
I once waded down from Queen St. bridge.
how did you do wading from there??

troutdude
troutdude
I honestly don't recall, as it was some 25 years ago.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
My own,personal theory has always been if you use bigger bait you catch bigger fish. Use baits the lil ones can't wrap their lips around...lol

L
lilsalmon
Raincatcher said:
My own,personal theory has always been if you use bigger bait you catch bigger fish. Use baits the lil ones can't wrap their lips around...lol

Makes sense to me....:D

C
Combat Chuck
Montieth has the best access, look for the rope swing ;). You can keep it simple tube jigs or curly tail grubs. Dont be afraid to let them drop to the bottom, they'll pick em up.

... or just drown some worms :)