Monofilament suggestions

S
Spooner
Hello everyone, I want to put new line on my pole and not sure exactly what would be best for my situation. Anyway I am fishing a Mitchell Advanta pole that is 6'6" Medium action rated for 6-12lb line. The reel is a advanta MA2000 spinning reel. I am planning on using it for coho and steelhead. I think I want a 10lb line I have a "premium Plus 7" ten lb line. I just put on it but I broke the line twice pulling on it tying it to the reel. So I want to get a better line. I have had Trilene 12lb XT "extra tough" on it but had a hard time casting my 1/2oz. spoons. So I am not sure if I should use:
1) either a Trilene big game 10lb.
2)Trilene smooth casting 10lb.
3)some kind of braid.

What is important to me is a good cast. I figure I will be better off spending a little more now so that I may loose a few less spoons. I figure it is really more of an investment in keeping more lures.
Anyone who has any ideas or input it will be appreciated. Even if there is something that isn't on my list. I don't have a ton of money right now and that was one benefit of the big game series is that I can respool it as it comes in well over 1k yards.
I would also be open to a 12lb if enough people think that would be best. But again casting is most important to me and that is why I would be open to the braid. Anyway again any input much appreciated.
Thanks.

S
SantiamDrifter
10# Izor line

S
Santiam338
I like Izor line also..The hi viz yellow...

E
eugene1
I've caught lots of steelhead on Trilene big game, plus it's dirt cheap.

sounds like the line you're using has deteriorated, so anything will be an upgrade. 10 pound test line shouldn't break when you're tying it.

J
JeannaJigs
I roll with P-line CXX 10# on the majority of my spinning reels. Pretty strong stuff, usually the hooks will bend before the line breaks when snagged up on obstructions and it's pretty abrasion resistant. Can get a 600 yard spool of it for $9.99.

A
alm21
I use PLine CXX 12lb moss green for mainline and Izorline 8-10lb as leader material. For drift fishing, I have Berkley Fireline 20lb and again, using Izorline for leader. All of which are on spinning reels. This has worked really well for me. Both poles are 8' 6" and cast well.

H
halibuthitman
trilene xt 10lb... I change it out about every 6 trips and cut back 6 feet about 3 times a day when spoon fishing, Izor line would be my second choice, but trilene and maxima ug are the best cheapest lines on the market. Stren is by far the absolute worst line ive ever spooled. But if you fish spoons and spinners all day 2 or three times a week and in the kind of bottom and structure I do, then no matter how strong or nice no line has any longer of a lifespan than trilene or maxima.. so the additional qaulity is moot, since you will be trashing your line daily..

S
Spooner
Thankyou everyone for your suggestions. I will be looking some of these up, Ill have to make a decision soon if I don't make it out Sunday evening it will be early Tuesday to I guess however youd like to think of it hope to "pop my steelie cherry":naughty:. I have a salmon and large mouth bass one coming hopefully this year as well:dance:

E
eugene1
If you lived closer, I'd give you a partial spool of line to get geared up with. Good luck,

S
Spooner
yeah it was after I had tied the knot on my reel then pulled on it that it would snap. It seem only after it got kinked when I tied it that it seemed week. Just cheap line I think it was 1.99 at Fishermans.... well fishermans something or other. I did some more reading and found a site that compared the Pline to the Izor and said that the Pline casted further so I think thats what Ill probably go with. I didn't know how different all of the lines where. Learning all of the time. Thanks again to everyone and eugene1 thanks to you as well I appreciate the offer and the luck. Ill have my phone for a picture so if I do get one believe Ill Post it.