Molalla trout fishing

G
Growbug
Last winter they improved the pond considerably. All the banks were redone and the water level raised, and now there is a marshland around a nice little pond.
Its not gone through a summer yet, so i dont know what it will be like when it gets hot. At the moment, its still full to the top.

F
fishy4
how is the fishing in the upper stretches? is it time for me to get the fly rod out again?

G
Growbug
The heat has hit, so have the local water splashers and all their relatives.

I drove up from Feyrer Park, all the way to Pine Creek (limit of fishing) and on for a couple of miles. EVERY place that can have a car parked alongside the road in some sort of turnout has people there. EVERY day use area is packed with peeps.

BUT

if you dont mind a little stomping through rough and maybe a nice 60degree scramble, we can get ya to a few places.

F
fishy4
haha i love molalla in the summer time lol

G
Growbug
hmm... what we need is one of them old "Bear Scare" tactics. One of us goes up there and starts talking to the people splashing around. Somewhere in the conversation, drop the line "yeah, its real nice here, almost every time i come down here to fish I get to see the bear family that live just across the water"
Works best if you have already put a 'yote caller over the other side of the bank with a bear tape in it..

Drawbacks
1- Talking to the people, major drawback. Most dont want to talk, or are too intoxicated to listen
2- Mention a bear and half the idiots will go looking for it (Darwinism in action)
3- Some people are so dumb it wont work anyhow!

F
fishy4
haha i love it. nice one man. well when i get some gas money this week. i will let you know maybe we could meet up sometime and fish the upper stretches of that river

G
Growbug
Went up there last night with a friend. Nothing was working, down to the smallest spinners... and we had taken spinning rods.
Ho hum... so we fished the last couple of hours of light watching the trout splashing and sucking the flies off the water.
DING
rooted around my bag for a couple of generic stonefly patterns and nymphs, stuck a bubble float and 20" leader then went back fishing.
Pulled in a couple of 5" cutthroat.