Molalla river winter steelhead

O
osmosis
There should be a pile of fish up high somewhere, as I've been catching a lot of them from wagon wheel down for over than a month and no snakes yet.
Havent got any of the cuts that usually start poking around this time of the year yet.
a lot of the steelhead are gorgeous red cheeks, and got a few double stripes!

Reactions: OnTheFly
M
Modest_Man
Excuse my ignorace on fish lingo, but I think a snake is a spawned out steelhead that is on it's way back out to ocean, correct? I think I heard that you're a guide, do you do any guiding on the Molalla? :)

I'm going to be out there tomorrow early. Then hitting it hard next week, I'd like to get one before the run ends.

EDIT: Ugh. Maybe I won't be going out tomorrow. Jumped up over two feet from Tuesday. :( Who knows how to plunk...?

Last edited:
pdx fly
pdx fly
Thinking about maybe heading out that way myself tomorrow....fingers crossed for not too much rain tonight.
PM me if you want to meet up....otherwise...i'll be the guy tossing flies out there from the bank, wearing a patagonia hat...say "hi" if ya see me.

pdx fly
pdx fly
HA....I thought it was but in my head/heart was hoping it wasn't going to....maybe just maybe fingers crossed it will hold off...I have been hitting the clack/sandy/wilson pretty reguarly....but have been wanting to check out the molalla real bad, I still may check it out either Monday or Wednesday. My gramps lives in Charbonneau, it's a win win...see gramps on the way...and fish also. Either way or day i'll be out that way. let me know if you want to meet up.
but yeah, water levels doon't look so good.

S
skunk
Stopped on saturday and it was racing, and high. Color seemes to be getting better but that could also change. I will be on the col. all day tomorrow, then I'm thinking I'll just hit the clack for awhile till the waters get back into shape. Hoping by thurs or friday, but maybe not even then.

L
Letemgo
Ran the drift from the "grove" to Freyer park and got into this 6-7 lb hen. She looked to have been moving gravel but had lots of fight in her. This one fell to an old school Oakie Drifter and yarn. River level was at about 2500cfs and was high enough that no rocks were hit. At that level there are several areas of standing waves where water splashed into the boat - wahoo! Steve
StevesMolallasteelhead4-11-2011b.jpg

M
Modest_Man
Nice! I was out yesterday for a couple hours, color was good but the river was MOVING.

Reactions: FishFiddle
F
FishFiddle
Nice one! Sometimes it is nice to have a high, fast, and exciting drift, and a nice fish to boot!!

M
Modest_Man
I'll be out tomorrow for probably my last winter steelhead attempt, water should be good right at 13.5 feet. Going to head up high.

J
joemomma
Good luck, I luv that river, yes your water should be perfect!

M
Modest_Man
Well, didn't find any fish but I did find this. About 400 yards downstream of the deadline.

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

J
joemomma
Holy cow!

N
Noahk
Holy crap! Were the cops there too? Bodies? Stolen car? Flood?

M
Modest_Man
Just a tow truck and who I assumed to be the owner of the car chatting on the bank...

L
Letemgo
That's at least the second car in the Molalla this winter. The last one was just below the 211 bridge a couple of months ago. Steve

M
Merle
Beautiful Steelhead and now after photoshoping, we can see your face.

Last edited by a moderator:
M
metalfisher76
Modest_Man said:
Well, didn't find any fish but I did find this. About 400 yards downstream of the deadline.

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

Did ya fish behind it, around that boulder?? ;)

W
waco
i can see fish behind the car!!!

L
Letemgo
Merle, thanks for the lightening job on the photo but no matter what you do, the fish is still better looking. Steve