Molalla River up two feet!

B

bigfootfish

Hey anyone. The Molalla River has been up by two feet since 10/26/2009. This was the guage reading then: 22:30 10.36 180. This is the current guage reading at 10:00 am: 10:00 12.37 1,480.
Anyone got any info on Coho in the Molalla yet, upstream from Canby? They should be moving along with a 2 foot water-rise.

BFF

G

GreenDrifter

I drifted from the canby pond to the mouth last weekend and there were fish but not as many as you would have thought. Im sure there ar some more now give it a try.;)

G

Growbug

Just got back from a couple of hours spent on the river, above Glen Avon Bridge.
Saw lots of 2-4" trout taking flys off the surface.
I was fly fishin', but had brought a lightweight spinning setup as well.
Just above the 3 mile marker (past Glen Avon Bridge) I found a pool and lobbed in a Blue Flox Vibrax (1/8oz Purple). On the second retrieve the line whipped across the water and a fish exploded out of the surface.
What felt like an hour later (about 5-10 real minutes), I landed a 15" Coho. Photos soon.

My first Salmonid, my first proper fish (discounting 2-4" troutlets on a fly) on the Molalla..

I am insanely happy, and couldnt believe such a small(ish) fish could fight so hard!!

So.. THEY ARE IN THERE!!!!

B

beaverfan

Was it 15 pounds or 15 inches? Either way congrats on your first Salmon!

G

Growbug

rather dark, 18inch Jack, just a tail bigger than the 15" dish, just over 1 3/4 lb. Nice pink flesh.

cohocropped.png

Would have had a couple of nice "bank photos", except that I should remember that I need FLASH if its getting dark out!!

Last edited:
Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
Sharing info & pics too

Sharing info & pics too

Congratulations on your catch! Judging from your first three posts you will fit right in here. Good info sharing AND pics! Doesn't get much better than that. Welcome aboard!

C

Cohosanders

My friends Dad who lives in Molalla is a local legend for catching some of the biggest salmon in that river. I have never really fished there(lots of swimming & drinking), but after that report I am going to do some more recon and work my friends dad for information. Nice job on those fish:clap:

G

Growbug

Oh.. I am going to be revisiting... I am new to the area and this is my first year fishing here.. A couple of my friend here seem almost amazed that I pulled a Coho Jack out!?
If they are moving.. even the Feyrer Park Launch / Beach might be good ideas..
I am heading down there now with a Maribou Sparkle Minnow or three.

Oh.. one thing I can't work out... Last nights fish had a completely empty tummy...
Why do they hit the lures if they arent feeding? Is it a predatory reaction or something?

C

Cohosanders

I have heard(and please somebody correct me if I am wrong) that salmon do not usually feed after they have left the ocean. All bites on lures are purely out of aggression. Are egg bites territorial or are they out of aggression too?? It makes sense that when they spawn they don't feed and then get all gnarly from using all their energy. I am still learning the science of salmon:think:

Salmon use all their energy for returning to their home stream, for making eggs and digging the nest. Most salmon stop eating when they return to freshwater and have no energy left for a return trip to the ocean after spawning. After they die, other animals eat them (but people don't) or they decompose, adding nutrients to the stream. Steelhead trout, however, continue to eat in freshwater and many survive and return to the ocean. These fish can grow another year and then return to spawn again.
(USGS WFRC Outreach)

Last edited:
G

Growbug

Feyrer Park -- Dogs who like to swim.. ho hum

Where are good places on the Molalla. I can only bank / wade at the moment..
I am near Feyrer Park itself, so Dickie Prairie, Table Rock arent out of reach of car or desire.

kirkster

kirkster

I have no idea. And it's gettin dark fast.
I have heard(and please somebody correct me if I am wrong) that salmon do not usually feed after they have left the ocean. All bites on lures are purely out of aggression. Are egg bites territorial or are they out of aggression too?? It makes sense that when they spawn they don't feed and then get all gnarly from using all their energy. I am still learning the science of salmon:think:

Salmon use all their energy for returning to their home stream, for making eggs and digging the nest. Most salmon stop eating when they return to freshwater and have no energy left for a return trip to the ocean after spawning. After they die, other animals eat them (but people don't) or they decompose, adding nutrients to the stream. Steelhead trout, however, continue to eat in freshwater and many survive and return to the ocean. These fish can grow another year and then return to spawn again.
(USGS WFRC Outreach)

I've read several articles saying when salmon enter fresh water to spawn they lose the ability to digest food.

B

bigfootfish

Molalla River visited

Molalla River visited

When I started this thread the Molalla had crested at two feet above recent levels and by the time I arrived there it was dropping and clearing up. I drove up to the Pine Creek Bridge Salmon Deadline and further, all the way to the Table Rock Trailhead. Didn't see or catch a single fish, trout or salmon. Nice water, though!
Congrats, Growbug!

BFF

G

Growbug

Pulled another fish out of the Molalla this eve.
I was trying drifting for the first time, 1/8oz(ish) slinky, 2 foot leader with 2 gama hook, bright pink wool and a corky.
Took me about half a hour throwing into various holes from Horse Creek Bridge down. About half way between Horse Creek and Glen Avon there is a section of river that still looks like its only a few inches deep at most.. Scattered with rocks and tree debris.
This is around the 5 mile mark from Glen Avon and some fish seem to be holding in a LARGE pool directly under this riffle.
I am only a complete novice, but.. is this area stopping the larger fish from going farther upstream.

Troutlets seem to be active on the surface from 4:00pm onwards. I also noted a load of insects, shucks, whatever, drifting on the surface.

No pic today, I let the little bugger go. He was only 14 inches and real dark. Top jaw only slightly hooked and only a tiny bit of red/purple behind the gills.
Reminder to self... Camera is as much an essential piece of tackle as the rod and the line!!

Last edited:
A

adambomb

I too pulled one out of the mighty Mo today. I had just gotten down to the waters edge, when I slipped, fell, scraped my arm and got one foot wet. I then said a lot of really bad words very loud. After collecting myself for a moment, I threw out my #4 red inferno and FISH ON!!! first cast. Landed him, gave him a hickory headache, and the rest on the grill. For being a little dark, I was surprised how well he cut. :dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cohosanders

did you make that lure?