Mohawk River fishing

S
Speedymaru
Hello all, I live on the Mohawk River and was just wondering if anyone had ever fished it before? Is the fishing there any good? What kinds of fish? Thank you for any help provided. Last year, me and my buddy went fishing down there and caught 3 small northern pike minnow but haven't caught anything since.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

I've haven't fished that stream. But I sent a Facebook PM, to another one of our clan that can probably help. Hopefully, he will chime in soon.

J
JeannaJigs
There's some good trouting to be had, I haven't fished it in eons, TTfishon might be willing to help you out, but don't hold me to it lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

troutdude
troutdude
TTFishon told me, via FB, that he will reply when he gets OFF work.

S
Speedymaru
Okay thanks! Jeannajigs, what did you use?

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
There's some good trouting to be had, I haven't fished it in eons, TTfishon might be willing to help you out, but don't hold me to it lol.

Geez, thanks for selling me out. lol

T
TTFishon
Yeah, there's fish. lol

Last edited:
S
Speedymaru
Okay. I live about 5 miles up marcola rd from Hayden bridge. Honestly if I get the chance to fish in my own backyard whenever I want to, I don't really care about the size of them.

T
TTFishon
I've never fished that low. Good luck.

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
I'd like to talk to you in person one of these days. Is that a possibility?

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
Fish and Wildlife use to plant above Marcola with planters in the early eighties. I use to take my Sevelor raft down that part and catch my limit. Several nice holes up there and I think that stocking has been taking place to establish Salmon/Steelhead runs up that way. Back in the Great Depression, locals would blast the holes and collect all fish and I understand there was a nice run of Salmon back then. Lots of private land. Lots of logs down to deal with. Also chemicals from farms and golf course leaching in.

S
Speedymaru
I live just a ways upstream from the golf course. There are several holes that look nice but I'm just not sure what to throw. I've fished spinners through there a few times but never caught anything besides a couple pike minnow. And ttfishon, sorry but I'm actually just a kid and have no transportation, but you could message if you wanted to.

J
JeannaJigs
It's been 20 years, we used worms. I don't fish bait for trout anymore but I'm sure worms still work.

J
JeannaJigs
Jeeze that makes me feel old. 20 years. Sigh.

S
Speedymaru
Okay thanks! 20 years?! That's not too bad!

T
TTFishon
JeannaJigs said:
Jeeze that makes me feel old. 20 years. Sigh.

Hahaha you're old.

T
TTFishon
Fish-On Fred said:
Fish and Wildlife use to plant above Marcola with planters in the early eighties. I use to take my Sevelor raft down that part and catch my limit. Several nice holes up there and I think that stocking has been taking place to establish Salmon/Steelhead runs up that way. Back in the Great Depression, locals would blast the holes and collect all fish and I understand there was a nice run of Salmon back then. Lots of private land. Lots of logs down to deal with. Also chemicals from farms and golf course leaching in.

5 or 6 years ago ODFW planted 79,000 chinook smolts somewhere upstream from Marcola. I'm guessing up past the gate on Mohawk River Rd. They have also been stocking pre spawn adults. Every year during a certain month I see them and have caught 2 while fishing for trout.

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
Those are planted in hope to reclaim the drainage. Please observe what you catch as they are trying hard to let fish make a comeback,

T
TTFishon
Fish-On Fred said:
Those are planted in hope to reclaim the drainage. Please observe what you catch as they are trying hard to let fish make a comeback,

I hope they make a comeback too and I hope it's one of those streams that is kept on the down low. To be quite honest, I didn't even want to answer this thread but I thought I'd be nice and now that I know it's a kid I'm glad I did.