Mn.2011 Winter season, first trout of the year.

S
spindoctor
UpStrm12132011.jpg

After a month of often subzero and always below freezing weather, we finally got a series of days where the temperature has been high enough to keep the ice build-up on the rod tip to a minimum. And not a day too soon either. The cabin fever was getting so bad that I was resorting to chasing my mutt around the woods while wearing snowshoes. (I was wearing the snowshoes most of the time).

Sunday I was able to get out to the trout streams for the first time in 2011, and in spite of the banks being piled high with drifted snow and ice, it felt great to be back in rubber pants.

The day was sunny with temperatures in the high 30’s, and a wind blowing about 20 mph, but I was down between the bluffs fishing the Whitewater River, so the wind was of little concern.
The water was 36 degrees, at normal level and very clear. Whitewater is one of many rivers that Minnesota allows winter trout fishing starting on the first of January and going on until spring. The special season has regulations mandating “catch and release and barbless hooks”.
It was 1:15 when I stepped off the bank and into the water.

TrtFght22132011.jpg

TrtFght12132011.jpg

I started out throwing a Twist-less One-der bow spinner and stayed married to it the whole outing. There was no reason to change.

smallBrdg12132011.jpg

The high banks covered with deep snow and protruding ice ledges made fishing from the bank very difficult to almost impossible. I have found that, although it may not look it, wading is the easiest and most comfortable way to chase winter trout.
Most years early winter fridged finger fishing is more or less a good excuse to get outdoors, enjoy the great scenery and if I land a fish or two, well that’s a nice bonus. Today though, was an exception, and even though the water was very clear and very cold, conditions that normally result in zero production, my first cast was followed out of the depths of a dark pool by a shadow, indicating the start of another fun outing. Four casts later I was releasing my first trout of 2011.

RnbwFgt12132011.jpg

TrtNdShr12132011.jpg

The rest of the day went very well; I would wade and cast for a while and than come upon some structure or pool that would yield a fish on almost every cast and than another stretch of wading followed by a flurry of action.

WtrRnBw12132011.jpg

I stepped out of the water at 4:30 with a total count of 18 trout caught and released, an average of 1 trout every 10 minutes. All fish were heavy and ranged from 12” to about 17” in length.

BrnOnIce12132011.jpg

BrnTrtNdWtr12132011.jpg

The new style single hook worked almost to perfection, even being barbless, all but one fish that grabbed the TWIST-Less spinner was easily landed.

RnbwFgt22132011.jpg

Well that about sums it up for now, a great start to another year of wade fishing.
Spindoctor.

T
TTFishon
Those are some beautiful looking fish! Nice report too!!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
beautiful bows and browns :clap:

C
chris61182
Those are some beautiful fish, and I'm a wee-bit envious, it's still a few months until the river trout season opens here.

M
Modest_Man
Care to show a close up of the spinner? I'm intrigued by the kink.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Modest_Man said:
Care to show a close up of the spinner? I'm intrigued by the kink.

i think he did in a past thread. look at his started threads :p

T
Throbbit _Shane
awesome !!!!!!!! :D :D

great looking trout

N
nwkiller
all i can say is wow, those are some colors!!! amazing!!

M
Modest_Man
brandon4455 said:
i think he did in a past thread. look at his started threads :p

Nope.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Modest_Man said:

really? hmmm must have been someone else. i coulda swore it was the same guy and spinner..

S
spindoctor
TwstLsBlkPrlGld1der2152011.jpg BrnInHnd12132011.jpg

I’ve been working on this design for a couple of years. The bend was a bit tricky in determining length and angle. (Tangle city if not right). The single hook was a challenge as well; there wasn’t a hook on the market that met all the right requirements, so I made the hook as well.
The next hurdle was getting all the paperwork and Pats. through.
I love taking a simple machine like a spinner and bringing my years of engineering into play to try and perfect it.
brandon4445, those are pictures of the Super Bows not the TWIST-Less.
I am just now redoing my site to add the TWIST-Less spinner line. The site does have One-der bows now and I should have the TWIST-Less up soon.
So far this season I have logged 15 hours of casting the twistless spinner on a reel spooled with new 4/10 braided line with no sign of twist. High looping casts sometimes resulted in a lure foul, but so far only 3 incedents of that happening, and that was very minor.

Last edited:
M
Modest_Man
spindoctor said:
TwstLsBlkPrlGld1der2152011.jpg BrnInHnd12132011.jpg

I’ve been working on this design for a couple of years. The bend was a bit tricky in determining length and angle. (Tangle city if not right). The single hook was a challenge as well; there wasn’t a hook on the market that met all the right requirements, so I made the hook as well.
The next hurdle was getting all the paperwork and Pats. Through.
I love taking a simple machine like a spinner and bringing my years of engineering into play to try and perfect it.

Thanks. So in essence it does...what differently? Reduces line twist? I'm trying to envision it spinning in my head.

M
Moe
great fish man they are really beautiful.

S
spindoctor
Line twist is generated via the blade rotating around the axis of the spinner shaft. The line will twist so easily that even with an almost frictionless fit the blade rotation will overcome the line resistance. By offsetting the body of the spinner in relation to where the line attaches, the whole spinner would need to girate around rather than spin on its axis to twist the line.

S
spindoctor
I am having a little problem editing my site, but I should have the TL's up on it by tomorrow night. I am going to make a special deal to you folks here at O.F.F for treating me so kindly.
Thanks Much! it realy means a lot to Sue and I.

N
nwkiller
thats a great idea, nice!!

S
spindoctor
Ok, the TWIST-Less spinners have been added to eggersspinners.com site.
Because the folks here at O.F.F have been so friendly to me in the last year or so, I would like to make an exclusive offer to everyone at Oregon Fishing Forum.
Place an order of $20 or more from eggersspinners.com, and than e-mail me at eggersco@netzero.net and give me a description of your order (e-mail address, order number, whatever) and say that “you heard about my spinners on Oregon Fishing Forum”, and I will include TWO more spinners of any kind (except Monster Bows) FREE, your choice.
I’ll run this offer until midnight Sunday March 6th 2011.
I am posting this offer only here at Oregon Fishing Forum, and you are free to tell anyone else or copy and paste this offer anywhere that the great folks here at Oregon Fishing Forum allow.
AND you need to e-mail me right after you make your order, so I can add your choice of two free spinners to your order.

Note: if this offer is not ok with the management of Oregon Fishing Forum, please delete it and I will understand.
Thanks much.
John Eggers (spindoctor)

Last edited:
T
Throbbit _Shane
cool! ill try to make a order before the 6th.

S
spindoctor
Great!
and I haven't gone fishing with Scott Peterson yet.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Good!
I hope to never fish with him or some one like him :)