Mitchell combo at Dick's

M
mikeredding
I picked up a couple of the Mitchell spinning combos at Dick's Sporting Goods over the weekend. Seem to be a decent little setup for trout. They were normally $30 and on sale for $10.
Anybody else get these? If not you should. I have a couple other Mitchell combos from about 10 years ago and they have held up well.

Reactions: beaverfan
brandon4455
brandon4455
mikeredding said:
I picked up a couple of the Mitchell spinning combos at Dick's Sporting Goods over the weekend. Seem to be a decent little setup for trout. They were normally $30 and on sale for $10.
Anybody else get these? If not you should. I have a couple other Mitchell combos from about 10 years ago and they have held up well.

ive bought a few mitchell combos over the years from bi mart for pikeminnow,bass/panfish and trout and they hold up pretty well. thats a damn good buy if you ask me.

Reactions: beaverfan
N
Noahk
Yeah I checked out this combo yesterday too, it seemed like a great deal. I have a super old mitchell rod that always seems to catch all the fish!

M
Modest_Man
Old Mitchell stuff seems to be much better quality than new Mitchell stuff.

D
Denduran87
Dick's has been surprising me lately with the deals they have been having, i picked up a nice quantuam combo normally 119.99 for 49.99, got the wife a $70 combo for 19.99. waiting for there fly combos to go on sale cus i want to start getting into that a bit. I got my wife tying flies since she is going to be on bed rest for awhile:redface:

M
mikeredding
Modest_Man said:
Old Mitchell stuff seems to be much better quality than new Mitchell stuff.
I do agree. I have had many 300 reels that were great but I have no complaints with the new ones either.

M
mikeredding
Denduran87 said:
Dick's has been surprising me lately with the deals they have been having, i picked up a nice quantuam combo normally 119.99 for 49.99, got the wife a $70 combo for 19.99. waiting for there fly combos to go on sale cus i want to start getting into that a bit. I got my wife tying flies since she is going to be on bed rest for awhile:redface:

They have pretty decent sales and I noticed that they really ramped up their inventory. Probably because Cabela's is opening soon. Too bad for them cause Cabela's is going to sink them!!

D
Denduran87
where's that gonna be?

T
TTFishon
F
fish4life
I heard they are putting a cabelas in oregon city or wilsonville also.

D
Denduran87
fish4life said:

Oh i would love one in wilsonville thats where I work (the wife wouldn't like it though:lol:)

M
mikeredding
fish4life said:

I really doubt it. When they decided on Springfield it had a lot to do with location and they said the Portland area was too close to the Lacey, Washington store. They felt that centrally located on the I-5 corridor would have the best customer traffic.

Last edited:
M
Markcanby
I dont see Dick's getting much of a pinch from Cabela's but if they put it in OC the you can say goodbye to Fisherman's. Not that I care there are both overpriced an the only thing I buy from them are things I can't get anywhere else.

C
cookshot
I like Cabela's mostly because of the amount of inventory they have. You can definitely find better prices on everything online though.

M
Markcanby
Yeah for things like kids waders or tents they are great I even got toons from them last year for a great deal. But for everyday fishing gear I wont shop there just like I dont shop Fishermans. Just last week I have some stuff to get up in OC at BI-Mart an was looking at there trout rods. Okuma SST 6' nice little rod 24$ stopped down at Fisherman's for tapered leaders (didn't have at Bi-Mart) same rod 36$ I honestly dont see how they stay in business.

Back on topic here I will have to take a look at those Mitchell setups. Like the other guys said teh new one's are nothing compared to the old 300 models but there still a pretty good reel for the price.

N
nwkiller
oh, you know i went and got mine!! ten bucks ha, how could u go wrong?:D

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
While Fisherman's might be higher priced on some gear - they're way lower in price on other gear. Bi Mart gets a few rods in in certain models - as far as I know - Fisherman's has the entire lineup of Okuma's Celilo rods, and most if not all models of their SST and Guide Select rods. They also have a huge selection of Berkley, Shimano, and Quantum rods - plus the cheap low end stuff, and the high end Loomis/Lamiglass stuff.

I'm not terribly fond of their fly fishing/tying stuff at Fisherman's it's very limited. But then again, that's why I love River City so much.

Fisherman's isn't the end-all be all, but they're a damn good start. I can't wait for the Tigard store to open in April!

Cabela's will also see my money when they open up in OC, and occasionally if I get down to Springfield. I recently did some business with the store in Lacey, Wa... love that place :) It weren't as big as the Idaho store, or the one in Sydney, NE (that place is awesome) - but it was super cool. The indoor boat shop was really nifty too - nice to see Cabela's was selling some northwest style boats, plus some cool hybrid NW/Mid West style boats that easily do double duty between salmon/steelheading and bassing.

The fly shop in Cabela's stores is way nicer than fisherman's or sportsman's warehouse. Dicks treats fly fishing as an afterthought for the most part.

Fisherman's sometimes carries items that I just can't find anywhere else local, and that's why I love them. When you factor in shipping costs for online purchases - it usually breaks even, or costs more than if I just go to Fisherman's to get it. So I'll support my local shop over an internet retailer at that point. The nifty 8'6" Celilo rod I just got - I couldn't find local. Fisherman's had a boat load of the new Celilos in stock - including a few of the longer ultra lights.

I was completely opposed to shopping at Dicks when they first opened up. I held out for about 8 months. Bi-Mart, Wal-Mart, and Fisherman's were going to be my fishing gear sources, aside from mail order or internet shopping. Then I got stuck between a rock & hard place. Had a fishing trip planned - couldn't get out to Fisherman's because I was working right up till the trip. Needed some gear ASAP. Bi Mart didn't have. Wal-Mart wasn't open in Washington County yet, and they usually didn't have what I was looking for anyway for that trip. So I stopped in at Dicks in Hillsboro, and was acutally surprised to see the selection of NW type gear available. The first reports I'd heard about their flagship store in Oregon - the one at Washington Square - were that it was a lot of useless junk. Guess those people's idea of useless & mine are different... so I gladly shop Dick's now - even though I miss GI Joes - and will spend less & less money at Dicks when Fisherman's opens up in Tigard, and probably even less if we get a Cabela's to boot. Dicks will still get some of my business though - especially the stuff where I have to grab something the day before a trip, and can't make it out of Hillsboro.

Fisherman's bulk tackle sections are the shizzle :) Small floats at ten to twenty-five cents a piece. Hooks from ten to fifty cents (depending on style and size). Corkies & spin n glos and cheaters, oh my! Reminds me of the neat-o Worm Buffet that the Hillsboro GI Joes had for a while (they took that out because of theft issues :( stupid theives anyway.)

Until Gunga and I can open up a tackle store, I guess I'll make do with the other guys :)

N
nwkiller
i really like the spot in oregon city...maybe some can say the name, ive been there twice. pretty much the place is a mecca, it has everything in every size, wish we had something like that down here in eugene, but cabelas will be alright.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
nwkiller - you're probably thinking Fisherman's Marine - right on HWY 99 across the road from the Willamette, right below the freeway? That's their Oregon City location.