Minn Kota Steering Awkwardness

B
bernduffy
Hey, Fellow Pontooneers: How do you solve the Minn Kota throttle control awkwardness? My Outcast 9' has the motor mount center (of course) but this means that the reach around back (in a non swivel seat) is difficult, uncomfortable and maddening after a mere minute. Is there some kind of offset mounting solution? Offset handle solution? I suppose I could stand up and steer with my ...er...um...buttocks, but I'm pretty sure I'd be busted by the Sheriff for an unnatural act with a multi-hulled watercraft.
How do you guys deal with this?

Bernie

R
ryan808
Try one of these:

HelmsMate Extension Handles

I actually have a project to make a remote control box for teh trolling motor's rheostat. I have an old minn kota that I couldnt find the original parts for, but has a similar rheostat that works but doesn't fit in the original housing. I had a plan to cut the top portion of the motor and just have the shaft and prop mounted to the toon. A 3 feet power extention to a remote box holding the rheostat sitting in my tackle pouch will act as the throttle control. I should be able to steer with some fins and control the motor without reaching behind.

T
Thuggin4Life
I am not an expert on toons. In fact the very opposite of that. But with my limited knoledge what if a guy mounted a bow mont motor on the rear deck and ran the foot control up to the foot deck/stand to make it an easy sitting opperation hands free. I know most tonns come with the bare minimum but most of the ones I have seen you guys post pics of have been upgraded to a higher seat with an actual deck in the front for feat and a deck in the stern. So with this picture in mind I can see this working very well.

H
Hawk
In the last couple years i've read posts where a few members have used aluminum to make a front footrest & mounted a trolling motor to aluminum plate between your feet. I think Ninja was one who did this. Put the battery in a box behind seat. I don't have a Pontoon.

Best of Luck to ye Bernie...

:)

T
Thuggin4Life
Now what Hawk saids sounds failiar t o what i was trying to picture in my mind.

B
bernduffy
Yes, I've heard of this front mounting option, but it's awful busy up front, not to mention that's where my feet are and with my luck...
I was out on the Willamette today and worked out an improved steering situation by leaving an oar trailing off the side and using it as a rudder when needed. It was much better than steering only with the throttle handle. The whole thing is complicated by the whimsical nature of a fully inflated pontoon in any kind of wind. There must be a ride at Disney World like this!

G
GDBrown
Thuggin4Life said:
Now what Hawk saids sounds failiar t o what i was trying to picture in my mind.

You can do that? With you mind I mean.......

I thought I was the only one who saw pictures when I read words!

GD

H
Hawk
bernduffy said:
Yes, I've heard of this front mounting option, but it's awful busy up front, not to mention that's where my feet are and with my luck...
I was out on the Willamette today and worked out an improved steering situation by leaving an oar trailing off the side and using it as a rudder when needed. It was much better than steering only with the throttle handle. The whole thing is complicated by the whimsical nature of a fully inflated pontoon in any kind of wind. There must be a ride at Disney World like this!

When the guys have mounted a AL plate in front for their feetrest, there is plenty of room in between your feet for troll motor. Some even mount a poleholder &/or a fishfinder. That's the way i wood doit if i had pontoon.

To transport a toon i would buy a used small utility trailer. Back trailer into the water. A lot easier on my back.

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
B
bernduffy
Would like to see a picture of this setup. Ninja still around?

H
Hawk
I guess it was someone else that has the Aluminum plate for a footrest.

ninja does have the front adapter for the trolling motor though.

:D:D:D

You can do a search & find some more pics maybe. Or look on Google for ideas

B
Basser@Heart
Never done it but got to thinking, with a little tinkering you could rewire the foot control to a hand control, think of an electric wheel chair. I think it would be pretty simple, same basic concept. have a slide for speed and an toggle for direction. just a thought...

B
Basser@Heart
Oh, you can also put a swivel under the seat, will raise you out of the water about an inch but give you the ability to turn sideways and put less stress on your back.

B
bernduffy
I think the swivel seat is the best next option for me. I can stand on mine , too, balancing on the side frame, but without a balance bar, it's not a smart thing to do....but feels good when you're out for a couple of hours.

Top Bottom