Milton Creek

C
Charlie Brown
Has anyone fished Milton Creek in st helens?

S
SmallStreams
Yes, back in the early '90s. Found the usual 6"-10" rainbow & cutthroat... rainbow at that size might be youthful steelhead.

If you're fishing upstream from the railroad bridge, then the Willamette zone rules apply. Thus it's catch & release since Milton Creek isn't listed in the special regulations.

If you're fishing downstream from the railroad bridge, then Columbia River zone rules apply. That means only fin-clipped cutthroat over 12" can be retained.

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Yes I fish all the time and good fishing too. caught a 18" steel head today.

S
SturgeonSurgeon
And Milton Creek opens May 28 for retaining trout........

C
Charlie Brown
Did you catch that steely at the mouth?

F
frodog
This is great news. I recently moved to St. Helens and live on Milton creek. I might toss some spinners and see what happens. What technique are you using Sturgen Surgen?

S
SturgeonSurgeon
Frogdog I live on N 10th so maybe we could hook up and do some fishing....when the wife will allow it lol......anyway I have been using rooster tails and spoons.....they seem to really like the spoons lately. Cast up stream and reel in as it is coming down steam at you. Usually right at the bottom of rapids is where I have done the best but I could show you some good holes. I go out all the time.

And for Charlie Brown no it was caught about a mile up from the mouth....

F
frodog
That would be cool I live on mcarthur almost to the pitsburg rd bridge. Pm me with your contact info if you feel it and we can hook up.

F
frodog
whoopsie

Last edited:
S
SturgeonSurgeon
Sorry everybody but I just wanted to let everybody know that Milton creek is closed until May 28. No angeling period until then. Once it opens its catch and release only. I called the ODFW and confirmed it with a actual person that works there. Sorry for my earlier posting.

G
Gannon
Caught and released a 14 inch steelhead at the mouth in my kayak yesterday. I'm glad to see a good run starting to get re-established.

H
halibuthitman
Just a reminder, Goble creek, Milton creek, and both forks of Scappoose creek are permanently closed to steelhead fishing.. not even catch and release, I live in Scappoose and last year reported 16 illegal fishermen, and had to speak to countless youths ( I don't call the troopers on kids ) I watch these creeks very closely...

G
Gannon
Wasn't fishing for the steelhead, just a nice surprise! Kayaking at the mouth area is great for all fishing, crappie, catfish, sturgeon, bass, even those annoying little squawfish, I seem to always catch something around that spot. I'm glad to here you talk to people about the river, my the company I work for has been working hard to increase the fish population around here, and I even have ODFW talking about re seeding Milton here soon since were finding more help from Salem on the matter. Halibuthitman you ever go fish out in the bay or channel? Any word on any bite?

H
halibuthitman
there are several legal locations to target these runs, and they all correlate with the tide.. plunkin spin and glows and a prawn, or boat fishing, you can actually sidedrift the channel-

G
Gannon
just talked to ODFW and they said that in Scappoose bay retention of clipped steelhead and Chinook is allowed, but it has to be clipped. They were stoked to hear about a steelhead at the mouth of the Milton and are going to see about doing a count this winter to get a better idea of the size of the run. Sweet. Wish we could get another hatchery.

G
Gannon
I love the channel in my yak, its quiet and fishing is good. You going out soon, you want to go fishing sometime, I like my yak but I'm down to learn some new bank spots