Milo McIver float

M
Modest_Man
Randomly got the morning off tomorrow, I'm going to do the float from upper McIver to the lower boat launch. First real float in the cataraft. I'm going to longboard back to get my car I guess as it's super difficult to get anyone to go along! If you don't hear back the float was too much. ;)

I'm just stoked to go float it, who cares if I get into a fish or not?

Reactions: fishingfreak
brandon4455
brandon4455
have fun and be safe. catch a big one!

N
Noahk
How's it go? Hopefully you made it back!

M
Modest_Man
Yes I survived. Got home, ate food, showered and had to run to work.

It was a lot of fun. I'm ready for more. I really can't row and fish at the same time and fishing from a craft is totally different than fishing from shore. I need to learn up on different ways of fishing (plugs, divers, back bouncing, boondogging?). I also need an anchor. Didn't catch any fish, but I wasn't trying to fish that hard. Saw a drift boat anchored up below me net a nice fish.

Here she is at the take out. I need to name her still. It rained on the drive in and just for a hair on the float.
IMG_0179.jpg

C
capblack
you would probably be better off just beaching it and bank fishing every time you see fishy water. its hard to fish while manning the boat

M
Modest_Man
I'd like to try an anchor for slower sections. Not rapids of course...

N
Noahk
Looks nice man. How long did the float take you?

M
Modest_Man
A bit less than 3 hours.

S
skunk
I can only float weekends, been looking for someone to go with. I was going to wait till it warmed up a bit, but I have a nice trailer so we could do the shuttle, make it easier. yours would fit on the trailer fine. I have a small 9' toon. I'll let you know when I plan to head out, I'm thinking mid april if bear hunting doesn't consume my time.

N
nativefish
i just got a pontoon, and am pondering the fishing and operating of the tube just as you are. My plan is to get a rod holder, bobber up and cast into the seam or whatever, set the rod in the holder and use the oars to maintain a light slack line and a perfect bobber with me about 25 ft cruising down river right behind it. Probably a lot harder than it sounds lol.

M
Modest_Man
Yeah, frankly it's pretty damn difficult.

Reactions: markasd
M
markasd
Been at the pontoon thing for a bit - fishing from it with consistent success is a dream. Too much work trying to keep it tracking straight and keeping even tension on the offering.... even a bobber setup. That will be the easiest way to get into a fish while floating. Anymore I just use mine to get from run to run and bank it while I'm there. I have an anchor system - if your gonna go with an anchor, have one ready to drop off the front as well or your all over the place out there. I've had luck getting the oars adjusted off the side dangling in the water keep me kinda straight - but really need a front anchor also.
I hope to get out with ya soon - work sooo gets in the way of life.

Be in touch..
mark

N
NoobTooner
this is one drift i'm realy interested in doing as well.
never done it but dodge to ox went well. (not sure how that compares but if we ran tandem i bet i'd have no prob keepin up.)
anyway yous guys should pm me any weekend that you think the water would be forgiving enough for a tandem with the noob and i'd be down to run it with you. i love steelheading that park. i've had some realy good days there and am realy chomping at the bit to get my line in some of those holes you just know would fish best from the far bank.
late,
NT

M
Modest_Man
After floating the Santiam from Packsaddle to Mill City (not fishing, just whitewater rafting) the McIver float is a piece of cake...

I'm finishing up a bunch of mods to my cataraft, and will be taking it out a bunch as soon as I get some flooring and rig my seat. I'm also looking into how to anchor up with the cat. Not in fast water of course... Which needs to be done in the next two weeks as I'm floating the John Day for 4 days May 22nd.

N
NoobTooner
oh man.. 4days,that sound awsome!
so i've never run the santiam ether. pretty much aside from the rogue and snake, locally i've only done carver to barton and dodge to ox. ...and you've never done dodge to ox right?

anyone know how the two stack up???