Millicoma River, Coos Bay

M
martin s.
Trout season is almost here, any one fish the Millicoma, are there fish, can it produce on a fly... thanks.

N
Native Fisher
martin s. said:
Trout season is almost here, any one fish the Millicoma, are there fish, can it produce on a fly... thanks.

Yes you can catch them on the fly, as summer progresses though the main forks, east and west get to warm and most of the trout seek cooler water in the small creeks of the elliot state forest. The tidewater area can be fun for sea run cut throat later in the summer. If you can get up there the South Coos river and it's tributaries seem to have a much healthier run of trout and the river is larger and a bit cooler.

M
martin s.
Thanks for the info, never fished for sea run cutthroat will have to give it a go this year. ill need permits to get to the upper coos won't I.

N
Native Fisher
Sadly I have a bad feeling that the last two years of hit dry summers severely damaged the trout population in our area. I didn't catch a single trout while steelhead fishing, and I almost always catch a lot of nice ones...

M
martin s.
that is sad, when I first moved to coos, I assumed that Oregon's cold water resources were unlimited, I'm finding that my options are limited unless I travel 50 miles from my home or get a permit to access forestry land. Still the thrill is discovering fish that some how survived is endless, a challenge awaits , thanks native fisher, hope to meet you on the river..

N
Native Fisher
martin s. said:
that is sad, when I first moved to coos, I assumed that Oregon's cold water resources were unlimited, I'm finding that my options are limited unless I travel 50 miles from my home or get a permit to access forestry land. Still the thrill is discovering fish that some how survived is endless, a challenge awaits , thanks native fisher, hope to meet you on the river..

Coastal freshwater trout fishing is rough in the summer and spring. We have very few rainbows, and the resident cut throats can be tricky to find. Both Tenmile and eel lakes have good hold over populations. I used to take my rubber raft out, row out a ways toss in a chunk of night crawler and let the wind push me around. Caught some great trout that way. Beyond trout fishing the mainstream umpqua just above scottsburg has a fantastic smallmouth bass fishery. Put on a rapala plug that looks like a trout and catch a 100 fish a day!

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
If you don't mind walking through the sand then Tenmile Creek has a pretty good trout fishery. There used to be a searun fishery as well. It has been a while since I have made it over that time of year, but I would imagine they still come into the river.