Miller time

F
FishinTheWes
I was up at Miller on Friday and Saturday. I got a late start and arrived at around 8am. Lots of fish rising, and on my 3rd or 4th cast I caught a 17" brown on a #16 Adams behind a torpedo float. I also scared up a couple of grasshoppers near the swimming area and used them to catch a couple of nice browns--another kind of "dry fly" fishing. Working around a bit of the shoreline, I caught another brown and a couple of smallish rainbows on worms. The wind came up and I took a break from fishing during the middle of the day to set up camp, eat lunch, etc.

digitptOFF.jpg

Evening fishing was disappointing; I've seen some good evening rises here, but not this time. I caught two browns of 11-13" plus a few more rainbows and a small brookie on dries. Some of the fish hit my float instead of the fly, but I didn't get any strikes when I switched to a floating Rapala. Things really stopped after it got dark, so I retreated to camp and cooked up trout with onions and potatoes.

millersunsetOFF.jpg

I got up early Saturday morning, but not much was happening initially. I caught a 15" brown on the Adams, and a few dink rainbows. Fishing picked up later in the morning, around 9:30. I cast a worm to a cruising shadow and came up with an 18" brown, then caught a couple of smaller fish before it was time to break camp.

15brownOFF.jpg

18brownnetOFF.jpg

18brownme1OFF.jpg

I intended to check out Miller Creek during the middle of the day. My battery was dead when I tried to leave camp, so after getting a jump I drove to Chemult to charge up the battery and borrow an emergency starter from a friend just in case. I probably needed the rest anyway, as I was run down and felt a bit recharged after sitting down for a while.

I took a hike, and then got back to the lake around 6:30. I caught a small rainbow on my first cast, but there wasn't much happening at all. I think I only had one other bite the whole evening. A thundershower approached and passed mainly to the south, but the wind and rain really beat up the lake. I've seen great rises when storms beat hatches of mayflies back down onto the water, but I think this storm arrived too late to do that. After it dried up around 8pm, the lake was pretty dead.

millerrainbowsOFF.jpg

Overall, I caught 9 browns (11-18"), 8 rainbows (9-11"), and 1 brookie (9"). Mosquitoes were pretty obnoxious and required frequent DEET applications, but on the plus side I got the best sleep I've ever had in a campground.

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR

R
RunWithSasquatch
:clap:Top Notch. Great post, great photo's!

troutdude
troutdude
Agreed. Excellent post, and really nice pics. I've never been there, and Miller is a lot bigger than I thought!

Nicely done.

F
FishinTheWes
troutdude said:
Agreed. Excellent post, and really nice pics. I've never been there, and Miller is a lot bigger than I thought!

Thanks! I guess the size is a matter of perspective, but I've pretty much spent all my time on the same quadrant of shoreline. I need to do some more exploring there sometime.

millerviewlandOFF.jpg

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR

troutdude
troutdude
Your pics are sharp and clear; and expertly framed. Are you a photographer by trade?

BTW, that is one of the prettiest browns I've seen in a while.

F
FishinTheWes
troutdude said:
Your pics are sharp and clear; and expertly framed. Are you a photographer by trade?

BTW, that is one of the prettiest browns I've seen in a while.

I've taken up photography in the past 5 years, but I've been fishing for closer to 35--both just hobbies.

Actually, it's interesting how much browns vary in the coloring and spotting patterns (the Wood River one in my avatar is the one I thought was most spectacular).

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
I agree...beautiful fish, excellent report and really really nice pics...good job.

B
bigsteel
very nice report:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Nice report and nice pics. I really like that one of the double rainbow over the lake.

Miller's a great lake to hit in early October. Not only are the mosquitoes gone for the season, but so are the crowds. More than once I've had that lake practically to myself at that time of year.

And did I mention that early autumn when the big browns are on the move in Miller?

To anyone who hasn't been there...the road into Miller does NOT play nice with boat trailers. I've heard more than one horror story about broken trailer axles and smashed boat windshields on the way into that lake. ( I carry an inflatable in the back of a camper shell, myself )

H
Hawk
Great Report. :D

Beautiful pics bro.
Well Done...

:clap::clap::clap:
:dance::dance:
:cool::cool:
:)

F
FishinTheWes
I haven't been up there in October; my one trip up there in September was a bit of a disappointment with just little fish (but still great scenery). Also, October is my favorite time to hit some waters closer to home, whereas Miller is a place I always seem to do well in August. I'll have to try it sometime.

It wasn't crowded at all; I only saw a few other people fishing from shore the whole time I was up there. There were a number of boats out on the lake, but as mentioned before it's a pretty big lake. A lot of trolling going on; one boat with a couple fishing PowerBait had what looked like a nice stringer of rainbows; and a couple of guys in another boat had caught a number of fish including a 17" brown.

Don't know about boat trailers, but as far as I'm concerned the road is better than a lot of gravel roads that I've been on. Your mileage may vary, and also I've never been there early or late in the season. I wonder if it gets a lot of hunter traffic in October?

roughdustyOFF.jpg

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR

F
FishFiddle
What are you using for a camera?? Nice photos! My old Canon took on too much water....wading too deep. Need I say more?

P
Perry
Great post and photos. Thanks for sharing.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I was hunting last week with a buddy and we took a break last Sunday to check out Miller. There were two campsites filled and a few others had reservations. There were two people bank fishing, one in a pontoon and two in a kayak. Very little pressure. I was expecting to see more since it was hunting season. The road was in better shape than I expected considering what I had heard. Another friend was one that broke his drift boat trailer on that road, but if you take it easy you shouldn't have a problem. I'll definitely be pulling my drift boat up there next year if I don't make it this year. Good to know you have success from the bank, we are going to our property this week just down the hill from Miller to pull our trailer home for the winter so I can't take the boat up. Looks like we'll be banking it. Thanks for the great post and info.
FishinTheWes said:
I haven't been up there in October; my one trip up there in September was a bit of a disappointment with just little fish (but still great scenery). Also, October is my favorite time to hit some waters closer to home, whereas Miller is a place I always seem to do well in August. I'll have to try it sometime.

It wasn't crowded at all; I only saw a few other people fishing from shore the whole time I was up there. There were a number of boats out on the lake, but as mentioned before it's a pretty big lake. A lot of trolling going on; one boat with a couple fishing PowerBait had what looked like a nice stringer of rainbows; and a couple of guys in another boat had caught a number of fish including a 17" brown.

Don't know about boat trailers, but as far as I'm concerned the road is better than a lot of gravel roads that I've been on. Your mileage may vary, and also I've never been there early or late in the season. I wonder if it gets a lot of hunter traffic in October?

roughdustyOFF.jpg

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR