Mid-winter prize

S
sportsmanlio
After about 5 weeks without fishing, I decided to go out with one of my friends and try to slay a mid-winter redband. After a slipperly and somewhat terrifying climb down, we made it to the water.

My first cast yielded a 14 1/2" 1 lb 5 oz trout. It was thin--presumably because of the cold weather--but fought very well for its size.

Moving on, I spent about 10 minutes using different lures, before a nice fish (pictured below) crashed my lure. It took about 3-4 minutes to fight the fish in the powerful current, but my friend netted it for me after a wonderful fight.

The fish look like steelhead this time of year, and are absolutely gorgeous. It stretched the tape to 20 1/4" and weighed 3 lbs 5 oz.

Reactions: rogerdodger
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Gorgeous fish...well done! Thanks for sharing.

S
sportsmanlio
Thank you. I'm just glad I finally got to get outside!

C_Run
C_Run
Good job! Wish the trout I get were that size.

W
waco
Nice fish dude!! Almost a steelhead ;)

A
alm21
You could play catch with that football of a fish!

N
nwkiller
nice chrome little fatty!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
sportsmanlio said:
Moving on, I spent about 10 minutes using different lures, before a nice fish (pictured below) crashed my lure.

I am curious what lures that fatty didn't hit, and what it finally went for....

M
mgdguy
Noice trout! :clap:

S
sportsmanlio
It passed up minnowbaits and spoons before hitting a dark-colored spinner. Due to a secret oath, I cannot reveal any more ;)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
sportsmanlio said:
It passed up minnowbaits and spoons before hitting a dark-colored spinner. Due to a secret oath, I cannot reveal any more ;)

excellent, I love it when cycling through a variety of lures or flies results in a big payoff...nice job...

S
sportsmanlio
Thanks. I hope to get a bigger one the next time I go. I was only at it about 45 minutes before this one hit.