Micro jigs

brandon4455
brandon4455
im planning on buying a vise, some micro jig heads/dumbell eyes and cone or bead heads, but im lost on what materials i should use to tie some micro jigs for steelhead fishing, the reason i want the so small is so i can fish them under a thingamabobber with my fly rod

brandon

Last edited:
J
Jig'n
A few things that come to mind are:

Marabou
Saddle hackle
Yarn
Chenille
Dubbins

My mind is kinda cluttered for the time being but the stuff above would get you off to a good start, and there is way more out there.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Jig'n said:
A few things that come to mind are:

Marabou
Saddle hackle
Yarn
Chenille
Dubbins

My mind is kinda cluttered for the time being but the stuff above would get you off to a good start, and there is way more out there.

thank jig'n :D

brandon

F
FishFinger
another material you might consider is Striped Rabbit. I don't mean a naked bunny, rather is rabbit pelt cut into long thin strips with the hide and fur still attached. Stripped Rabbit

Last edited:
M
markasd
second on the rabbit...

G
Growbug
Why are you making jigs for under the thingamabobber when you could suspend leaches, flesh flies, etc (as long as they are weighted)

brandon4455
brandon4455
i guess i could do that growbug, i was looking for another o[tion since i will be mainly nymphing and if i got micro jigs i would not have to buy a whole different line of gear to work with i just thought that people only used nymphs under strike indicators lol thanks

brandon

D
Doc Crappie
Brandon

How small are you going with the Micro Jigs.

What size hook and weight.... have you tied flies or jigs before....

Doc

brandon4455
brandon4455
na im planning on getting started with it soon though. im thinking 1/32 or smaller

D
Doc Crappie
what size hooks are you planning to use in your micro jigs, not that I agree that a 1/32 or 1/64 is actually a micro jig. What I call Micro jigs are 1/80 , 1/100, 1/124 ounce jig heads on #8, 10, 12 hooks. Now that is what I truly call a Micro Jig. That is just my thoughts on what a Micro Jig really is, the others I call light or ultra light jigs but not a true Micro Jig.

D
Drew9870
Doc Crappie said:
what size hooks are you planning to use in your micro jigs, not that I agree that a 1/32 or 1/64 is actually a micro jig. What I call Micro jigs are 1/80 , 1/100, 1/124 ounce jig heads on #8, 10, 12 hooks. Now that is what I truly call a Micro Jig. That is just my thoughts on what a Micro Jig really is, the others I call light or ultra light jigs but not a true Micro Jig.

I believe Brandon is talking Steelhead Jigs. In Crappie terminology, there is no doubt that is true, but that small of a jig would mainly be good for Summers in some places.

I don't know if you were already talking Steelhead jigs.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
yeah steelhead jigs for sure, thats the only fish ever ever used a jig for

F
First Bite
On my micro jigs I simply use saddle hackle feathers due to their size. They're easy to palmer and you can wrap two feathers at the same time creating an infinite amount of color patterns.

Mark

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Saddle hackles, marabou, schlappen, chenille, kyrstal flash, and glo-bug yarn, and most definitely rabbit strips! Trick with the rabbit strips - after measuring your strip for the jig, slice it up the middle for half it's length, you'll have two tails that will move and undulate, and it helps lock the strip onto the hook as well. I'll try to get some pix of how I do mine - I've made some sweet jigs and flies this way...

L
LockettOutlet
Good advice everyone