Miami River sea run cutthroats

Fred

I was on my way home after fishing the jetty and I decided to go explore this little river. I was targeting whatever I could catch, but I expected to catch some cutthroats. I waded about a mile downstream and found a deep hole with big trees laying in it. I had walked onto the bank to get a look at the pool and I saw a huge 20+ cutthroat dart away after I startled it. Sucks that try a few casts before spooking it. Instead, I just caught a couple 12-13 in cutties and I was happy with that. I'm going to go back and try some reverser spider flies at that same spot I'd love to catch a big cutthroat on my flyrod. I also sank knee-deep into a muddy pool of cow poop :(.

Alan

I don't mean to hijack this thread...... but have the Chum runs returned to the Miami? In the late 80's I took my kids there for a few years and the Chum were thick in that river but seem to disappear very quick. How is the run doing these days? Sorry for the hijack. When I was younger I use to archery hunt for elk on the upper end and have enjoy the searuns also.

Fred

I don't mean to hijack this thread...... but have the Chum runs returned to the Miami? In the late 80's I took my kids there for a few years and the Chum were thick in that river but seem to disappear very quick. How is the run doing these days? Sorry for the hijack. When I was younger I use to archery hunt for elk on the upper end and have enjoy the searuns also.
I think they kinda died out they still there, but a lot less then in the 80s.