Miami River chums!

S
seaslayer
Well I respectfully disagree :) Also there is really only 3-4 bank access spots that are truly public property. The Farm owner on the lower river finally had enough and now does not let anyone walk his fence line anymore. If his up river neighbor gets fed up and hangs signs that leaves the bridge and maybe 2 other public holes. Anyway just my opinion, don't get me wrong I love to sport fish..and love bank fishing. True bank maggot at heart here. have a good day.

S
sapo
Ya I get what you're saying, but ya below high water mark is public property.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
I regret to inform you...

This "little river" is no secret and the pressure is there with or without the internet.

Below the high water mark is public property. If you can keep your feet wet you can fish any part of the river you want. 10 min c&r is fine for a chum that will spawn within a week and die, native steelhead maybe a different story IMO, of course

Its the shortest season around an its now over.

D
DrTheopolis
troutmasta said:
Its the shortest season around an its now over.

They pretty much show up all at once, color up in a day or two, then spawn-and-gone.

I've spent a lot of time over the years looking in the Miami (and have seen the biggest native steelies besides the Salmonberry). And anymore, I leave that stream alone, even though I have a friend who live right there.

S
seaslayer
Hi Troutmasta, No where in my posts do I say anything about this river being a secret. I simply stated that a post like this adds pressure to a small river, which it does I do find it humorous that a few of you who come fish it once or twice a year feel inclined to argue with me as I see it first hand every day. I know the high water laws very well as i stated before i love to bank fish. Still need to respect private property and No trespassing signs. If you have to walk up on the bank to access the next hole then yes you are trespassing. I don't want to start a big war here just stating some perspective of a person who sees a lot of snagging disrespectful people with no regard to private property tromping around on this stream.

D
DrTheopolis
Seaslayer, I think you're preaching to the choir here. I'm going to say that the folks here on OFF are universally respectful, ethical anglers, or close to.

OFFers aren't representative of the D-Bags who trespass, litter, snag, and generally act like D-Bags. They're mostly folks who well realize that there's a whole lot more to fishing than catching a fish.

S
sapo
Right on DrTheo & Troutmasta

T
troutmasta
seaslayer said:
Hi Troutmasta, No where in my posts do I say anything about this river being a secret. I simply stated that a post like this adds pressure to a small river, which it does I do find it humorous that a few of you who come fish it once or twice a year feel inclined to argue with me as I see it first hand every day. I know the high water laws very well as i stated before i love to bank fish. Still need to respect private property and No trespassing signs. If you have to walk up on the bank to access the next hole then yes you are trespassing. I don't want to start a big war here just stating some perspective of a person who sees a lot of snagging disrespectful people with no regard to private property tromping around on this stream.
No worries- I dont snag or litter and I think most here would adhere to those standards. I was just giving you the perspective of a law obiding angler who enjoys a short but plentifull fishery and is willing to talk to others about it.
I know you didint call it a secret, but something you dont tell others about so they can't use, is a secret.
I'm glad you enjoy the river, and I'm sorry some donkeys give a bad name to everybody.
Tight Lines-

M
Modest_Man
I regret to inform you...

troutmasta said:
Below the high water mark is public property. If you can keep your feet wet you can fish any part of the river you want.

This is not true. At all. It's only true for ~12 rivers in the state. The Miami isn't considered navigable, so landowners can own the riverbed.

S
seaslayer
Troutmast is correct! Even if both sides are owned the waterway is not.

Reactions: troutmasta
O
OnTheDrop
How about.... No one fishes the Miami for Chums in General? Wouldn't it be cool to walk up to the beautiful little stream and just see Salmon swimming/spawning everywhere instead of 10 bank anglers huddled into a 4ft hole... I mean, if you want to boost your ego, you may as well just go to a trout pond. No ones going to harass you for snagging a fish there, and you can keep it to boot ��

Sorry, I love that little river, and have caught some nice fish out of there when I was in my teens( Chum, Chinook, Steelhead ) but I do think it should be closed to fishing in the Fall.

Cheers,

T
troutmasta
SteelmonKiller20 said:
I mean, if you want to boost your ego, you may as well just go to a trout pond. No ones going to harass you for snagging a fish there, and you can keep it to boot ��

Sorry, I love that little river, and have caught some nice fish out of there when I was in my teens( Chum, Chinook, Steelhead ) but I do think it should be closed to fishing in the Fall.

Cheers,
Shut'r down if you dont want to C&R the chums- fine by me-
But I think the issue brought up here is people disrespecting private property, not fishing the bridge hole-
The ego trout pond thing is a little low, not everyone gets to have 20 fish days and thats what that place does.

Any way the 2 week season is over and I'm done talking about chum salmon.

See you soon-;)

Last edited:
O
OnTheDrop
It's not that low.... Remember, any post after 9oclock I'm most likely under the influence... Of ice cream.