Miami River chums!

S
sapo
Took my annual trip to the Miami for chums with my friend Brett and his dad..was even better than last year. Fishing was crazy..I think most of the chums came in in this past week because of the rain last weekend, so there were a lot of fresh fish in there. It was awesome!

We got there at about 8:45 AM (late, I know, but the guy driving is not a morning person)..but it didn't matter. Met a buddy down there who left about 20 minutes after we did, they had apparently caught a ton. I usually fly fish, but since I didn't have a fly rod, I brought the old Okuma Centrific spinning rod/reel combo, lol. Tried drifting corky and yarn for about 5 seconds but then my buddy that I met there gave me a really crappy looking fly, pretty much just random pieces of stiff pink material sloppily thrown onto a hook..but it worked! Yes, I did fish a fly with a spinning rod, and I caught just as many, if not more chums than the guys I went with.

Fished the same stretch I fished last year, nobody there and it was great. We were mainly using pink streamers, but my friend's dad did use a white streamer, and the fish were really aggressive. Not many spawned out fish and most of them were really fresh (I caught an almost-chrome one, just barely had light pink stripes..but didn't get a picture, friend w a phone was across the river)..it is a blast to see a big chum hammering your fly in a small river. Between the three of us, we were hooking up every 1-2 minutes, it was on fire, sometimes every cast hooking fish.

Daily totals, each of us caught about 7-8 fish each in a time span of about 2 hours...That's about 20-25 salmon in 2 hours (more if you count the guys we met there)! Most of the fish we caught were nice looking hens, but some decent bucks in there too. Crazy! Plus, the fish took forever to land, most of the fish we caught took between 5-15 minutes, but sometimes more..best/worse moment of the day was one of our (multiple) triple hook-ups. We all had on huge bucks for 25-30 minutes, before my friends dad got his stuck in a log jam and proceeded to snap his very expensive sage rod (LOL, I believe pdxstruve mentioned his friend seeing someone snapping a sage rod a few days ago..moral of the story is, don't take sage rods on the Miami). I had one fish on for close to 45 minutes before it snapped off, I also almost got spooled multiple times, and I had a lot of line.

Anyway, absolutely great day out on the miami fishing streamers for aggressive chums! Here are some pics, I'll post some more pics and a video later:
IMG_6292.jpg
IMG_6293.jpg
that fish ^^ is the only one of that big buck triple that we actually landed. and that's Brett, amnis on this forum..yes, we're young haha
IMG_6294.JPG
I'll post more pics when I get them from Brett, and a video when we make one. Sorry for the long report, but it was awesome. They take pretty much anything, btw...

Reactions: troutmasta
T
troutmasta
Great report! It was pretty stupid fishing Friday, nice to know it hasn't changed.

B
BaldTexan
Great report. It's super fun and the fresh ones put up a really stellar fight and the big bucks look absolutely menacing. I was using plenty heavy line so I had no issue getting them landed and released in a minute or two. This other guy across the river with the trout rod and micro test line however......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
sapo
Wow a minute or two?! Geez, I had a 8-15 lb test rod with 20lb Braid and 14lb mono and there were times I thought the rod was gonna snap

B
BaldTexan
Haha. Yessir. Once i'd get them turned upstream they were mine :)

B
Big3d
Nice report, I was gonna fish the miami a little on friday, but car troubles sidelined me. Wish I could have gone. Glad you got fishy dude.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Great report Sapo love the fly.....................

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for the report sapo. I have Wed. off and am planning on hitting the Wilson. I may decide to work my way north and hit it for a few before the chum season closes.

A
adamg
sounds like a blast. im curious, whats the public bank access like on the miami? i always heard it was very limited so i never bothered to check it out. wife is going to kill me if i bring home any more salmon so C&R chum sounds like a fun alternative to chasin kings with the rest of the crowd.

B
BaldTexan
I got there today at the crack on noon for a few hours. Was very crowded being a weekend. Elbowed my way into a spot and caught several. Wasn't as red hot as the other day but there were still plenty of willing biters. Definitely a better gig on a week day.

S
Stonefish
Nice work on the chums.
Time to get a heavier stick so you don't have to wrestle them for 45 minutes. :)
SF

S
Steelhead addict
Those look like some hard fighting fish. What other baits/lures do people use to catch chums? Never caught one before.

B
BaldTexan
I caught them on jigs, spinners, corky and yarn. Saw some caught on twitching jigs and the fly fisherman caught them on streamers and egg patterns...in other words, they bite! Reds and pink jigs were the most productive for me. You can also catch them on bobber and eggs or sand shrimp. Go on a weekday if you can. There was a lot of people fishing it today.

S
sapo
Interesting bald Texan not usually many people. Lol stonefish ya, that fish was huge.

B
BaldTexan
Yeah. It's almost like we posted on the internet that the chum were biting! LOL. I was really surprised by the number of people fishing it Sunday but I found room to wiggle in and have some fun and there were still fresh biters coming up river.

S
sapo
Lol BaldTexan! If that's the case, time to start posting some "reports" on Fanno creek..haha

B
BaldTexan
I also heard Chrome Hawg creek is about to peak and they're getting easy limits quick reeling weighted hooks along the bottom!

S
sapo
Ya, I've heard drift fishing beads will catch em too but they're really line shy so make sure your leader is at least 9 feet.

B
BaldTexan
With dental floss?

S
sapo
That's my preferred method.