MHCC pond

K
kentsboots
I dont see any threads about the MtHood Community College pond .... I fished there for the first time last week , and got nothing , that place is pretty nasty and is more like a swamp than a pond . Smells like poop :confused: Unless your at the end closest to the campus where its all gravel .

J
JTLunker
They stock it in the winter and early spring. But that is about it,

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have had some really good days out there, the day after stocking, or that same week...Also been in a couple tumblers with a couple rowdy, drunk kids on campus abusing the property. It only does get stocked like 4 times a year, and it gets a ton of pressure too. Mostly from kids hangin around the area, not really fishing, just trying to floss 'em out when they stock it. The "poop" end, is actually where I have caught most of my fish from there...It does get a clean up right before school starts, and right before they let 'em all out. That is why it starts to smell like poo getting into August and to September when they clean it up a little bit. If you head out to the Clackamas again, bring your trout gear, and hit Faraday Lake, and the North Fork Reservoir. They are supposed to have already stocked them , but have not, it looks like, so they should get it done by this week though. Maybe make a trip out, and drive up 224, check out the campgrounds, and fish the bridges too if you ever head up 224 to Timothy or Harriet Lakes.

K
kentsboots
I used to TRY to fish faraday , steelhead in there didn't bite for nothing , and then they put that fence around the end with the dam , so you can't acually go up to the water ... havent been there since .
I used to go to harriet a lot and had great luck there about 8 years ago , but its small and gets crowded .

Say , whats the deal with fishing for trout in the rivers ? what is the special restiction ? we can only catch and release ? or does that mean we can only keep fish between april 26 - oct 31 ? dosnt seem real clear to me when i read it in the regulations ... ?

A
ArcticAmoeba
C&R, Barbless hooks, & No bait. So lure, and flies only. Not a real ton of trout in the river anyway, but enough wilds to make it restricted. And those signs are not real clear, as I still see people taking Chinook smolt out of Riverside, either blatantly poaching, or thinking they are trout...

Oh man, I had a Steelhead dumper break the tip off of a super light spinning setup with 10 lb. test for monster fish, on a noodle rod last week! I fish Farady, with homemade spinners tossed parrallel to the dam wall. Let 'em sink, and retrieve real slow. Sometimes they don't make it to the bottom! Gold Kastmasters too! PowerBaiters, and wormers don't seem to do as well as I do. I am not trying to say I'm an awesome trouter, because I'm not, I just use better lures than you can buy in a store, and they have made me better. And those stockers are conditioned to the 5 things that get thrown in there. Harriet has usually been good to me, almost always catch a fat brooder, and at least a couple big brookies too. There is a secret to bigger fish in Harriet though...No bobber. Thats it, don't use one, and you will catch more fish there for some reason. I dunno, weird place though. This Ranger guy up there is really weird, likes to talk fishin, but just a few bolts rattled loose from his manifold. Ya know? Hope you don't get to discouraged with fishing, as I know you are trying to nail down some steelhead...They take FOREVER to figure out from the bank! Hopefully a few of us can help flatten your curve, but the first one reall does takes a century! Keep poundin!