Metolius & Three Creeks Lake

L
LivinItUpCO
First off THANKS to the responses to my previous post. Had a half day on the Metolius and did well downstream of bridge 99; 3 browns, a bow, a redside and I got my first BULL !! Was more than happy, I've been a bit obsessed with them after a lot of reading. Of course the most important pic of the day did not turn out well....he flopped out before I could get a good one. The Metolius was the prettiest and clearest river I've ever fished.

We then went to 3 creeks and killed the stockers. After 15 minutes I saw this as my chance to get a great beginners lesson in fly flinging. My purist brother in law has been trying to get me to convert. I've tried twice and they were very short attempts. After a couple hours I felt like a pro and even though the bows were fresh out of the aquarium I was more than focused on my dry fly. Nothing like top water no matter your style. AND THEN to top it off my father in law pulls in a nice Brookie and as I wade over to take a pic BEHOLD the infamous TIGER TROUT !!! Another pic failure but who cares...

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
J
Jay Herb
Thanks for the report and the pictures, that is a nice area, we have camped in the area several years ago and hope to be their in late Sept. this year.

C_Run
C_Run
I've hiked around there but never fished it. Swatted salmon flies out of my face. Nice report. Thanks.

S
steelhead_slayer
Glad you had some success. sounds like a good time thanks for sharing

P
perfectg03
Nice Job! Sounds like a successful trip on a tough river. I must say seeing a spinning reel on the Met is very very rare. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a few goofy looks.

The bulls sure are neat in that river. Hopefully you will pick that fly rod back up and head back to that river to experience what trout fishing is like with a fly rod. Once you get hooked you will never pick up a gear rod again. I only gear fish for Salmon, every other species now is on the fly and I woudn't have it any other way.