Metolius this weekend

B
BigShayne
Well I hit the Crooked in December when it barely broke freezing and now I'm going to the Met this weekend. Any advice?? Anyone been there recently. I have not made up my mind about going after the Bulls, I only have a 5wt. so let me know what you think.

G
GDBrown
A 5wt is too light for the Bull Trout.... If you catch one you will stress it too much getting it in on a 5wt. Please use at least a 7wt for these as there are so few of them we don't want any to be unnecessarily injured just so we can have fun. This recommendation is coming from the ODFW fish biologist out of Bend. He was interviewed on Outdoor GPS this last weekend. Have fun and take lots of pictures! We Love Pictures....

GD

F
flyfishingphil
GDBrown said:
A 5wt is too light for the Bull Trout.... If you catch one you will stress it too much getting it in on a 5wt. Please use at least a 7wt for these as there are so few of them we don't want any to be unnecessarily injured just so we can have fun. This recommendation is coming from the ODFW fish biologist out of Bend. He was interviewed on Outdoor GPS this last weekend. Have fun and take lots of pictures! We Love Pictures....

GD

Totally agree with the rod weight. Lived there and fished it for years. Also helped ODFW on numerous surveys. Heavy line & strong rod or, this works too, light rod and real light leader. Easy to "pop" the line and let the bigger ones swim away. Use a cheap hook, debarbed, and the chance of survival is greatly increased.

Stop by the "Idiot's hole" above the hatchery (just upstream from bridge to hatchery 750-1000 feet, hatchery side) It usually only takes a few casts to figure out why it's called that.

B
BigShayne
Yeah that was the response I expected. So now that is settled... anyone actually been there lately. I guess I'm wondering if my size 18 bwo that I have been tying is going to be small enough?

M
Metoman
You'd have better luck nymphing. Although you may encouter a small hatch, so be prepared.

S
steelhead_slayer
i was there last weekend. there was a good number of dries out, but i didn't get to see any fish rising. everyone i talked to said it was slow, but they caught a couple usually on nymphs. good luck

F
flyfishingphil
FYI. Central Oregon and Sunriver Fly clubs do annual classes (Kokanee Karnival) for grade schoolers on the Metolius. To show what fish feed on we'd disturb the bottom and catch the downdrift in a screen. Usual count of insects from a 2'X2' area on the bottom included: 75+ shelled caddis, 50+ stonefly nymphs, 10-15 shellless caddis, 5-10 San Juan worms, 150+ various others. This was done in the gravel/rocky bottom area above Camp Sherman at the walk-in campground. Just about every afternoon, about 2, there is a March Brown hatch about size 14. A little biology fact though is that the fish usually only go after the "adult" when there is a low food supply or a short feed season. Genetically, however, they will bypass everything to get the emerger just after it shucks. Floating flies are nothing more than "debris" drifting by. The same fly can be twitched just under the surface and become a "struggling emerger" that cues the genetic feeding response in the fish.

BTW, ever notice how many fish hit your fly just as it goes under the surface as you pull on it for the next cast, on still water, or hits the end of the sweep and you've made 3 or 4 tugs recovering line for the next cast? The struggling emerger is why, and no, fish don't have a brain, so, yes, you can use dry flies wet and actually get more results.

B
BigShayne
well I had a great weekend. One fish landed - and it was on my own fly. That's a first and a great feeling. I love my new Rio Gold line! It performed great in a very windy day. Read about it if you want at shayneflock.blogspot.com

S
skunk
Nice job, I figure anything landed on that river makes it worth it.

H
halibuthitman
the best results for Bulls Ive had has always been streamers...

Y
Yohan
As far as streamers and Bulls go, I got two words.....

...Circus Peanut!

IMGP0657.jpg