Metolius--super fly trip

B
bigsteel
just got back from the metolius after spending four days of nonstop fishing and hiking and havin fun..got to spend the weekend fishing with onthefly and Eggs..it was a great call to hit the metolius,gorgeous cool days with crystal clear water to stand in..ended up fishing a lot of the river and just hiking around to favorite spots....The best fishing seemed to be late late morning,,,everywhere we went ther was some kind of hatch goin on,caddis,mayfly,,,i saw quite a few stonefly schucks clinging to rocks......the metolius can be a very tough river to fish but we all managed to pick up fish.....i caught a gorgeous 17 inch redband as well as some 10 to 12 inchers,,and eggs caught several nice redbands on his new 3 weight!!!!!!!!Onthefly had the fish of the weekend though,,as we were heading back to camp eggs said hey lets fish this stretch of water before we head back,,so we headed down river where onthefly proceeded to hook and land an amazing bull trout..on a dry fly even!!!!!!!!!!!!since most rivers are closed for trout we decided to hit the metolius for some late fall trout action and it was a blast......here are some of my pics i took,,,,,,,,i can't wait til onthefly posts his bull trout...........:):):)

• november 6,2010 1.jpg
  • november 6,2010 5.jpg
  • november 6,2010 4.jpg
  • november 6,2010 2.jpg
  • november 6,2010 3.jpg
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
:clap::clap::clap: Beautiful! How cold did it get at night? I heard the snow level was dropping to around 3000 feet. Hope you guys had hand warmers.

B
bigsteel
Raincatcher said:
:clap::clap::clap: Beautiful! How cold did it get at night? I heard the snow level was dropping to around 3000 feet. Hope you guys had hand warmers.

hehe,thanks barb it got down to like 30

brandon4455
brandon4455
beautiful fish buddy looks like it was a blast! thats heaven right there

brandon

H
halibuthitman
im crying inside... sweet!

L
lilsalmon
I can't wait to see OTF pics too....I went up for the day and left bigsteel with wood and propane...hehe. It took everything I had to leave. We spent the day on Thursday fishing. I got skunked but Dave got into 4 I think. Sounds like you all had a great time while I was at home studying for midterms....good job!!!!!

troutdude
troutdude
Gee whiz guys. You could've at least OFFerd to give LilSalmon a fish or two. After all, she did her part to help keep you guys from becoming permanently embedded in the thermafrost!

Glad y'all had fun.

L
lilsalmon
Thanks TD but its C&R only and I would rather see those ones go back. I had my day of fishin and had a great time...course now I am itching to get out there again.

F
fisherwilly
Nice pics. Sounds like a great trip. Last time I was down there I saw the largest bull trout I have ever seen come out from under the bank.

T
Thuggin4Life
Looks like you guys hads a great trip!

O
OnTheFly
The Metolius: A Fly Fishing Experience

The Metolius: A Fly Fishing Experience

It was 5:30am. Saturday morning when Eggs arrived at my house. Fifteen minutes later we were on our way to Camp Sherman to fish the Metolius River and to meet up with Bigsteel who had arrived there Thursday with lilsalmon. Bigsteel had to fish solo on Friday as lilsalmon needed to be back in town. Eggs and I met Bigsteel at the Allan Springs campground just after 9:00 (mostly clear and no rain) and we all headed down to fish. This was my first visit to the Metolius and I must say that this is one of the most awesome places I have ever fished. The water is so clean and clear you could drink straight out of it. The surrounding land is flat with huge ponderosa pines. The large pine needles create a carpet like mat on the ground.
Fishing here is challenging so catching 2 to 4 fish would be a good day. Wild Redband, Brown, and Bull Trout live here and fooling them with a fly will test your patiance and persistance.

View from our campsite
Metolius001.jpg

Metolius002.jpg

I was lucky to have caught a Brown Trout. It was 'reel' fun on the 5wt.
Metolius004.jpg

Metolius005.jpg

Metolius010.jpg

Metolius011.jpg

Eggs playing a Redband trout
Metolius003.jpg

Last edited:
W
wozniasm
Looks like a great time! I've hit the Metolius twice getting skunked both times but will go for the scenery by itself!

M
Moe
THose are some absolutly beautiful fish!! I am so jealos of that trip!

O
OnTheFly
Raincatcher said:
Today Sunday on the way home it was 31 degrees and snowing over Santiam Pass. No snow on the road thank goodness 'cause I was towing a trailer.

T
Throbbit _Shane
beautiful trout guys!! :D

B
bigsteel
awesome pics jim,,,i love that bull trout

E
eggs
That was a ton of fun... thanks guys!!!

fyi - still feel like crap, must caught something..

B
beaverfan
Wow that is such an amazing river, driven by many times but never stopped to fish. Great job guys!!

L
lilsalmon
awwwww now I am even more jealous....nice bull trout Jim. You guys did great and glad you had a good time. Sorry your "under the weather" eggs.

M
Markcanby
Looks like an amazing guy. Oh an thanks for the invite.:lol::lol::lol: