Metolius report

S
sapo
I haven't been on here in forever...I almost exclusively c&r fly fish now and this forum is more bait fishing centered, but thought I'd pop in to give a report from the Metolius!

My friend Brett and I headed down to the Metolius from Friday-Sunday this past weekend. Camped the first night (bad idea, we got about 2 hours of sleep since the temps were down around 30 and it was snowing), and stayed in a cabin the next night. Anyway, yes, the Met IS a hard river to fish. I really didn't understand what people meant when they said it was a "hard river", but you know once you fish it. Lots of decent water, some really good water, tough to fish and definitely hard to catch fish. A good day on the Met would be between 3-6 fish (depending on size and species) whereas on other rivers a good day would be between 10-40 fish.

Anyway...we caught quite a few over the course of the trip (redbands and lots of stupid whitefish), mainly fishing from Pine Rest campground upstream to Allingham Bridge. Golden stonefly dropper with a pheasant tail, midge, BWO nymph, etc. on the bottom..triple nymph rigs work well too. All my pics are on a different computer, but it's gorgeous out there. To see a few of the fish we caught, click on the link in my signature and it'll take you to our YouTube channel, we posted a vid yesterday.

Thanks and good luck!

O
OnTheDrop
The metolius is a fine fine river. Spent many days on it on my brief stint in Bend.

Not sure about your comment on how this forum is more bait centered, it's pretty well balanced. There's some baller Fly guys on here.

Aervax
Aervax
I appreciate the post. I really need to make my first trip to the M. It is long overdue. Would be a good opportunity for me to try out one of the bamboo fly rods I bought on Ebay last winter. Any of you guys want to arrange for a small informal gathering there this weekend if the weather cooperates?

I am with Tanner about Fly guys. I have done both for most of my life. Having lived in Oregon for 5 years now, I am finding more people here who do both than anywhere else I have lived. There are quite a few hardcore fly fish only people on this site as well. There are few who are hardcore enough to be "dry fly only". Anything else just isn't fishing to them.

Search some of the old posts. You will find them. They are generally more private, smoke cigars and drink scotch, and do not share fishing stories publicly as often as us beer swilling talk-to-anybody slobs. You know what I mean, "Fly Fishing Snobs". That'll bring them out of the woodwork for you. They'll be castigating me shortly. LOL.

Speaking of which, my summer steelhead goal for this year is to catch my first while skating dries. I am up for any type of partner on this sortie, experienced or newbie to dry fly fishing for Bullets. Send me a private message if you would like to partner up and plan a trip for it.

S
sapo
Thanks Tanner and Aervax! Yeah, there are some pretty cool fly guys here but the majority of the threads are mainly bait fishing stuff I guess..maybe fly fishers don't post as much.

Aervax-in my circles, us fly fishing snobs smoke pipes now..idk

I doubt I'll be able to hit the Met this weekend (probably be at the coast) but I'll PM u about summers when I get a chance.

Thanks!

Aervax
Aervax
Nice "one upmanship" there, Sapo. LOL :worthy:

I have 4 pipes myself. If we get to fish together we should compare pipes to see whose is bigger. :peace:

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
More "X" type anglers post, and the needle will shift. I think this is a fine little forum, and better than any alternatives I have seen thus far.

I'm interested in fishing over there... I like fly fishing "difficult" water. The only thing tough about it I have heard is it is extra clear, coupled with the no weight on leader rule. I don't understand that rule, but whatever. No one cares what I think.

SS

B
bigsteel
nice post gotta love the met

EOBOY
EOBOY
sapo said:
I haven't been on here in forever...I almost exclusively c&r fly fish now and this forum is more bait fishing centered, but thought I'd pop in to give a report from the Metolius!

My friend Brett and I headed down to the Metolius from Friday-Sunday this past weekend. Camped the first night (bad idea, we got about 2 hours of sleep since the temps were down around 30 and it was snowing), and stayed in a cabin the next night.

LOL, went over for the Sisters Rodeo one year in June with a friend, decided to sleep in his station wagon on the Met. We got a room the next day also. Not an easy task during Rodeo!

H
halibuthitman
Fly guys suck, I'd love to fish the Met with a can of worms and a bottle of fireball.

S
SWriverstone
New to the forum here (from Eugene), and thought I'd chime in on the Metolius. I fished it last fall for the first time, on a beautiful sunny day. The river (and surrounding scenery) is heartbreakingly beautiful!

In short, my buddy and I were skunked completely. No fish caught all day. We're both pretty good flyfishers, and were careful not to spook fish. The experience was funny and infuriating at the same time, because trout were literally swimming between my legs as I stood knee-deep water a foot or two from the bank. (That's how many fish are in that river!)

I'm determined to catch at least one decent fish from the Metolius...hopefully this summer! :)

Scott