Metolius 1st timer

S
Steeliekiller
Got up early and decided, metolius it is, I hear its a difficult river but what the hey. Got to the hatchery right around 6:30, one other rig in the lot, not knowing how the met is I figured it to be good. I headed up river from the hatchery to the second fishy spot, the first having someone in it. I pulled my #4 gold beaded brown rubber legged stoney from the keeper eye and flopped it in stripped line to start fishing, getting ready to roll my first cast I go to strip in a bit of line AND oh buddy 5wt doubled over an the fight was on! Then not being ready an not expecting instant gratification, rod went straight. Dang fish spit the stoney with ease being barb less an all. So knowing fish are active I kept at it expecting some more bent rod, and nothing. Went dry for a bit with assorted PMDs. Same result, nothing. Jammed into sisters grabbed lunch, chatted at the fly shop for a short time, then back at it. Headed back up to the hatchery up the trail fished all the fishy holes. No such luck. Sooo headed back out the river trail, splash an swirl, nice size fish slurping a drake I assume since they were floating around. I pulled some line off an tossed my #2 double beaded black stoney in the area of the swirl and!!!!!! FISH ON!!!! this one didn't get away :) so in short first flip,fish on fish off, headed out last flip, Fish On!!! About 17" of not so happy rainbow. Quick pic and back to the drink.

• 20140607_154239.jpg
S
steelhead_slayer
Congrats. It took me woe a free trip to the Met. Before I figured out how to catch a fish

S
sapo
Nicely done!

ScottyD
ScottyD
Nice fish Steeliekiller! Love the Metilious...even when it's sending me home smelling skunky. Beautiful place. Next time you're up that way...the Camp Sherman store makes a pretty mean sandwich. No need to drive all the way to Sisters. They also have a decent assortment of flies at the back of the store.

S
Steeliekiller
Thanks guys, I stopped in at camp Sherman on my way back to fishing, and got an assortment of flies and to talk to the guys in the shop to get a little guidance since I was at it half blind. Next trip over I have a little more knowledge and hopefully that helps me get a few more fish, and since I need to put a brown an bull on my list of trout caught, and the beautiful scenery makes for a great all around trip. I'll be camping it next time.