Mercury short shaft

F
fishtales
carb.jpg

Hello, I need a little help with my carb. I started the motor yesterday for the first time in a while after cleaning it. it starts up easy but it is leaking gas out of the bottom part of the carb. Any idea what it could be? I attached a picture above showing the lower section of the carb. I'm not sure why it is leaking there but it is a pretty steady drip. Also, when the motor is off and I throttle up and down it sprays a little gas out of the seem in the same area. Anyone know what is wrong? Last year I remember it having a similar issue (not as bad) but it went away on its own with out any repair.

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
Possibly a sticking float/needle.

F
fishtales
DrTheopolis said:
Possibly a sticking float/needle.
I will check that and see if it improves. I have had overflow issues at the top of the carb due the float before. thanks

F
fishtales
Still lookign for a little help. I have circled the area where the leak is showing. I think it is coming from the seem there. any idea what is wrong or needs to be fixed anyone?

SnipImage.JPG

D
DrTheopolis
Seems like if it's at the bottom of the bowl, it's likely just a gasket needs replacing.

Disclaimer -- I'm far from an expert on outboard carbs (my latest efforts on a 1949 carb really sucked).

1 nut in the water
Sure looks like the gasket needs to be replaced to me!

F
fishtales
Thanks for the input. It turns out there are 3 things it could be. There are two gaskets and a diaphragm that could be the issue. I guess the gasgets are close to the same size but not exactly the same. So, I might misassembled after cleaning. Not sure if it is a big issue or not.

I will to try and find time tonight to work on it. So who said you can't learn as you go. thanks guys

G
grizzlynitemare
Most likely a stuck float pin. I have had the same issues over the year with my Merc.
Mine is a 9.8hp.
I'm at the point where I'm saving up to buy a new carb/motor for next season.
Hopefully you don't have the same issues I have and fan get it fixed relatively cheap.

F
fishtales
Alright, I ended up replacing the diaphragm but still not fixed. The leak is defiantly coming from this area of the carb. It is actually more of a spray when I throttle up. Any other ideas or has anyone else had this and know the right fix?

F
fishtales
Problem solved. Happy to have a working motor again.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
What was the solution?

F
fishtales
There were two "O" rings that were not on the diagram and needed replacing because they went flat. They were able to find them on a diffent brand carberator. Feeling bllessed it came together although i have only taken the boat out twice since. Sorry for the late response.