Mercer reservoir access?

O
o clarki
Hi all,

New to the forum here. This looks like a great site.

I'm thinking about exploring Mercer reservoir tomorrow, but am not sure what the access is like. I have heard that it is about a 6-7 mile walk or bike ride, but have also heard the land is private. Is it legit to go up there? I'm just hoping to explore some new water.
Any insight much appreciated.

Thanks.

By the way, I tend to be a catch and release fly guy, but am happy fishing just about any other method known to man as well.

brandon4455
brandon4455
are you talking about aaron mercer reservoir outside dallas? you take ellendale ave all the way up past safeway and all the way up to the locked gat,park there and hike or bike in. its a straight shot up the gravel road and is. the place is heavily fished in novemeber by fisherman who are stupid and think they are stocker trout or somthing..but they are native cutties. so im glad to hear your a c&r fisherman. there are some bigggg trout in there. and the creek ( i don't mention the name but im sure you know it since you know the name of the reservoir) has good fishing as well. on the way up the gravel road watch the creek and you will see a fishladder halfway up. ive caught a fish that was damn near 18 inches there toss some flies in the pool at the fish ladder on the way up.. it is legal to walk or bike in, just no motor vehicles. 7 miles it is. ill be fishing the bridge below the locked gate tomorrow morning with my 4wt hopefully and might even fish the creek alogn the gravel road past the gate.. if you have any other questions feel free to send me a pm.

brandon4455
brandon4455
forgot to mention there are some bank spots on the reservoir but a lot of it is steep or brushy. careful fishing the creek the first mile or so below the reservoir a lot of it is private property and is getting restored for coho salmon spawning and they will call the police... but thats because they just like to harass people. welcome to the forum! hope you enjoy it. i hope you enjoy mercer and the creek as much as i do. they are a treasure and loaded with nice cutties :cool:

Last edited:
O
o clarki
Awesome! Thanks for the help Brandon. Is the private property well marked? I was thinking about checking out the creek first and then the res, but don't feel like getting harrassed during a peaceful day of fishing.

I may head down tomorrow. If I see anyone throing flies in the creek I'll stop by and say hi.

brandon4455
brandon4455
it's marked in some areas. one main area below the dam where they have a fish trap setup.ill be at the city park in dallas, the bridge at the locked gate and im loading my hunting backpack up with food and water plus my fly gear cause i might trek up the road and fish the creek thats untouched for the most part. i start around 10 a.m or so. ill be in brown hodgman waders.ill be riding my bike . and if you ever need any advice for fishing the area let me know, i know the creek/reservoir very well, ive been fishing them both for about 5 years now. seeya out there! (maybe) :cool:

troutdude
troutdude
WORD: Oregon does NOT require landowners to post "no trespassing" signs. In other words, you can get handcuffed and hauled away, even if the "property" is not marked. So, don't take any unnecessary chances. Ask for permission, if there is any doubt. Being polite and asking permission, makes us all look good too.

F
Fishin' man
Does any one know what logging company owns the road up to the reservoir?

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to best fishing site, on the net!

The owner's, I believe, is Dalton Rock. But, I'm not sure if they are the current owners. Plus if it is them...getting any info from them--at least for me--has been like pulling teeth.

At any rate: this reservoir, is ONLY open to motorized vehicles during the month of NOVEMBER. NO motor vehicles, are allowed at any other time. No exceptions. Period. They are VERY strict, due to some dumb arse causing a fire years back. The game wardens, during November, also strictly enforce the rules up there.

Outside of that November time frame, it is a 6.5 mile HIKE or BIKE ride gig. ONE way. Then, 6.5 mile HIKE or BIKE trip back to your parked rig.