Memory and cleaning

L
Lamzy
Two questions
1) How or what is the easiest way to remove of eliminate the memory in a fly line so one doesn't get all the birds nest in the line as you pull it off the reel for casting?
2)Cleaning the fly line, and can you use the jel type alcohol like in hand cleaner?
Thank you
KiltedBob

M
Markcanby
Just get some line cleaner its only like 5$ an will last a lifetime. As for memory as you clean it pull it pretty hard through the cloth an that should take care of it.

Reactions: Admin
G
GDBrown
I remove the memory by stretching the line across my back yard. Tie one end to a fence post then walk the line OFF the reel to another post. You don't need to put a lot of pressure on it just being straight for a while usually does it.

M
Markcanby
Good one there. Really to tell you the truth if you are having that bad of a memory problem you may need new line. Fly line should be very supple an get tangled even if its in a rats-nest at your feet. Or wrap around them in my case.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Well that settles it for me. I'm getting some new fly line because the older I get the more of a memory problem I have!;)

Reactions: Markcanby
M
metalfisher76
Markcanby said:
Good one there. Really to tell you the truth if you are having that bad of a memory problem you may need new line. Fly line should be very supple an get tangled even if its in a rats-nest at your feet. Or wrap around them in my case.

True.
You can soak it in a mild dish soap and try to break up the dirt/film from use. Here, I do this if I can`t afford new line right at the moment: Flyline Maintenance 101 - Global FlyFisher

M
metalfisher76
Irishrover said:
Well that settles it for me. I'm getting some new fly line because the older I get the more of a memory problem I have!;)

ha!

L
lilsalmon
Irishrover said:

I'm with you....I didn't realize that was all it took....Although, I haven't been stretched across the yard in a long time....:D sorry for the hijack

L
Lamzy
I do want to thank you all for your helpful suggestions. Some of them I have been doing, sort of, and others are new to me anyway.
Thank you again!
KiltedBob

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Mild warm, soapy water to clean the line. I stretch it at the beginning of each fishing trip. Pull 6 feet of line off at a time, stretch it tight, using steady pressure, never a sharp jerk. I do this for the entire line, even if I'm fishing small waters. Depending on the line, sometimes when I clean & dry it, I'll rub some line dressing on it to help keep it's floatability.