Meldrum Bar winter steelhead

L
luv2fish
First winter steelhead caught on Meldrum Bar ...wohhoooo.. the bite is on...

Fish On!!!!!

F
FishFinger
is this a myth or do you have a picture to prove it....

B
bigdog
luv2fish said:
first metalhead caught on meldrum...wohhoooo..the bite is on...

Fish On!!!!!
So where is the meldrum man I need to learn more waters then just the ones around here

F
FishSchooler
how? plunked righht? baits? more info please?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Meldrum Bar

Meldrum Bar

It's the Meldrum Bar in the Willamette River. If your a GPS tpye of guy it's N45.376 W122.614...............That's Meldrum Bar Park. It has a boat ramp and from there you head out to the Meldrum Gravel Bar, or plunk from the bank. The park is in the Jennings Lodge area. Hope that will help you out there Bigdog.

Last edited:
L
luv2fish
that was the place where i started fishing. Its a fishing Mecca..i love plunking there for springers...

L
luv2fish
FishFinger said:
is this a myth or do you have a picture to prove it....

Fishfinger...I was not there but my friend told me....he lives right across the area...near car lots...and we spend most of our time there.....and i won't doubt it... If your a avid fishermen..you should know by now...99 % of time the first spring chinook or steelhead or fall metalhead...are caught on willamette...especially meldrum bar....it didn't attract the crowd in big numbers for nothing...its the geography of the river which most of the times outfish the boats as compared to bank.
I'm not asking anyone to believe me...i know its caught.

F
FishFinger
After the recent storm fronts both the Willy and the Clack were running brown and swollen, just didn't seem to be conducive to catchin', perhaps I am wong.

L
luv2fish
yeah and its surprising that ppl still catch fish in that condition....my personal belief and the rest of medlrum regulars is that you can catch steelhead anytime of the year......provided your rig is attention gaining....
nestucca was chocolate and i called the nestucca river outfitters and the same stormy day...4 ffall nooks were caught...high brown muddy water...you just need to find that magical seam...the thin line between throwing your rig..and "throwing the rig in the zone".

Troutski
Troutski
luv2fish said:
yeah and its surprising that ppl still catch fish in that condition....my personal belief and the rest of medlrum regulars is that you can catch steelhead anytime of the year......provided your rig is attention gaining....
nestucca was chocolate and i called the nestucca river outfitters and the same stormy day...4 ffall nooks were caught...high brown muddy water...you just need to find that magical seam...the thin line between throwing your rig..and "throwing the rig in the zone".

Oh how true......:lol: :D ;)

Chuck

B
bigdog
luv2fish said:

Irishrover
Irishrover
Here, this is from the ODFW webb page. Might explain about those fish caught in high muddy water at Meldrum, and other places. Just an fyi thing :)

The fishery for winter steelhead in the lower Willamette River (below Willamette Falls in Oregon City) usually begins in early December. A dry spell followed by a high flow event in December typically brings in the first flush of winter steelhead into the Willamette. With the change to a native broodstock in the Clackamas River, winter steelhead should be available in the lower Willamette through the early part of the spring Chinook season. Many of the fish caught are headed for the Clackamas River and tributaries above the falls including the Molalla, Tualatin, Santiam, and McKenzie rivers. The most popular and accessible bank-angling site in the lower Willamette is located at Meldrum Bar in Gladstone. Many long-time Meldrum Bar anglers have good success in high, muddy water by fishing close to the bank (within 15 feet) using brightly colored gear such as a Spin-n-Glo or spinner. The best tip would be to spend some time on the bank watching other anglers to see how it is done, as the Meldrum Bar fishery can be a little different than most bank fishing. Winter steelhead are known to hold in shallow water below the mouth of the Clackamas River, waiting for higher flows and warmer water temperature.

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
hey luv2fish, what kind of rig do you drive? I plunk down there a lot in the winter time, and down there, thats pretty much how i recognize people, by the rig they drive. (Barring the few yahoos down there that stick out like a sore thumb, can recognize them a mile away!) Anyone else frequent the spot?

L
luv2fish
you just put a #6 or #4 spin n glo....i sually put on some yarn on hook and otherwise a skirt ( or hoochie what they call it)..like a 2 inchor lil less.....some scent and usually i slide a U-20 lure....rocket red...or a balck ..kinda like cop car....

my freind day before yesterday lost one..he pulled to the bank and the line got tangled and gave enough time to pop the hook....got to see the fish...beautiful spotted kinda green back..and very bright....was prolly like 7-8 pounds....