Measuring the cast

Irishrover
Irishrover
I was out with the spey rod on the Sandy today. The water was low and gin clear and it was very sunny out. Across the river there was some shade covering part of a nice tailout. Also cover that part of the river was a few low haning limbs from some trees. In the limbs were several lures and a bobber. Those red objects in the limbs seem to be telling me to forget about trying to fish there. I then remembered doing false cast on the Deschutes with large stone flies to measure the amout of line I could get out without sticking the fly in the overhanging alder trees. I started casting to the shade and letting a little more line out until I could reach the spot but miss the trees. (kind of like a standard casting, to set up a swing pattern). When I had the sweet spot I could relax cast and not worry about those darn trees. I guess that is one advantage of fly fishing, the ability to measure your cast. Oh I didn't seem to bother any fish by doing this because I never saw one all day.;)

B
bigsteel
i agree,,its easier for me to place my fly where i want it then gear...

M
mlw
I was out on Friday with the spey rod (a new to me beulah platinum 7wt ), and didn't bother any fish either. But it was very pleasant. Good point about measuring the cast.
Michael

T
troutmasta
Irishrover said:
I was out with the spey rod on the Sandy today. The water was low and gin clear and it was very sunny out. Across the river there was some shade covering part of a nice tailout. Also cover that part of the river was a few low haning limbs from some trees. In the limbs were several lures and a bobber. Those red objects in the limbs seem to be telling me to forget about trying to fish there. I then remembered doing false cast on the Deschutes with large stone flies to measure the amout of line I could get out without sticking the fly in the overhanging alder trees. I started casting to the shade and letting a little more line out until I could reach the spot but miss the trees. (kind of like a standard casting, to set up a swing pattern). When I had the sweet spot I could relax cast and not worry about those darn trees. I guess that is one advantage of fly fishing, the ability to measure your cast. Oh I didn't seem to bother any fish by doing this because I never saw one all day.;)

I envy you. Me trying to cast a fly rod is like a drunk trying to use chopsticks. I can cast a top water bass lure underneath a 7 in. overhang from a moving boat. I go fly fishing every summer in colorado and I ALWAYS am the one with my line in the tree, sweating, covered in mosquitos, usually smiling (and crying). You people are beautiful.

B
bigsteel
troutmasta said:
I envy you. Me trying to cast a fly rod is like a drunk trying to use chopsticks. I can cast a top water bass lure underneath a 7 in. overhang from a moving boat. I go fly fishing every summer in colorado and I ALWAYS am the one with my line in the tree, sweating, covered in mosquitos, usually smiling (and crying). You people are beautiful.

thats how i am with gear,,,the other day i sat on the bank puttin on my float and jig and all the stuff,,then got up cast out and boom snag,,,,,repeated steps 2 again damnit

Irishrover
Irishrover
"Beulah platinum 7wt" I hear that a real nice rod. 13'4" with a skagit line, you can probably put your fly right where you want it. The measuring the cast does let you keep a few more flies, and lets you spend more time fishing rather than retrieving flies from limbs. I haven't lost any of your flies yet and they have seen the water on the Sandy.

Troutmasta you crack me up. You would have been rolling on the ground in a full fit of outrageous laughter watching me cast a couple of years ago. I can still build a beautiful birds nest on just about any bait cast rod they make.;)