McKenzie this week.

R
rainbowfisherman
IIm thinking about trying to hit the mckenzie this week for some trout. Any flie suggestions? Any spots that are good this time of year??

Thanks
-Rainbowfisherman

B
beaverfan
The Mckenzie is open year round for trout? That's cool.

S
scottishsmokedsalmon
nope dont think so,mabye catch and release.

T
TTFishon
From the mouth to Hayden Bridge it's open year around for catch and release, fly and lure only.

B
beaverfan
That's cool, I wish some of the streams up here were open year round for trout.

J
joesnuffy
Your best bet would be to use nymphs under an indicator.

I'd go with a larger size (10-12) pheasant tail and have another dropper off of that and maybe a hair's ear nymph under that (size 14-18)

the pheasant tail nymph will help the other sink faster.

You could use a fly as an indicator but this time of year i doubt anything would hit it topwater.

good luck!

R
rainbowfisherman
I can't find hayden bridge...Is it possible its a hendricks bridge??

R
rainbowfisherman
And sorryy another stupid question is to the mouth up towards clear lake or the end of the flow in the willamette??

B
Bfishin
rainbowfisherman said:
And sorryy another stupid question is to the mouth up towards clear lake or the end of the flow in the willamette??

The mouth is right where it dumps into the Willamette

T
TTFishon
rainbowfisherman said:
I can't find hayden bridge...Is it possible its a hendricks bridge??

Nope, that's too far. Here's Hayden Bridge.Google Maps
That's close to the other place I showed you in the PM. Follow the river north all the way to the mouth. There's a park called Armitage Park with a fair amount of access. Google Maps

M
Mike123
I've never really trout fished rivers in the winter.. but yesterday I duck hunted the South Santiam all day and man there were a lot of trout rising! A few big cutts too! I'm not sure if the cutts were feeding on little fish or what but there was a school of minnows that were jumping and splashing around.
You may want to try some small streamer patterns.

T
TTFishon
Mike123 said:
I've never really trout fished rivers in the winter.. but yesterday I duck hunted the South Santiam all day and man there were a lot of trout rising! A few big cutts too! I'm not sure if the cutts were feeding on little fish or what but there was a school of minnows that were jumping and splashing around.
You may want to try some small streamer patterns.

Yeah, there's other streams that are open to catch and release for trout in the Eugene/Springfield area too.

R
rainbowfisherman
What are the names of the strea? Im guessing theres good fly fishing in them.....And mike where were you on the santiam??? Like near what park?

Thanks

T
TTFishon
rainbowfisherman said:
What are the names of the strea? Im guessing theres good fly fishing in them.....And mike where were you on the santiam??? Like near what park?

Thanks

1. Fall Creek from the dam down.
2. Leaburg Canal open entire year fly and lure only C&R.
3. Little Fall Cr open for C&R trout
4. Long Tom River C&R for trout
5. Mosby Creek open for C&R trout fly and lure only
6. Row River and Tribs C&R fly and lure only
7. Salmon Creek C&R catch and release fly and lure only
8. Salt Creek C&R catch and release fly and lure only
9. Willamette River Coast Fork C&R fly and lure only
10. Willamette River from Hillscreek dam to Look out Point res open year around C&R for non fin clipped trout fly and lure only
11. Winberry Creek C&R fly and lure only

Salmon Creek and Salt Creek are up above Oakridge. There's hot springs on Salt Creek if you're into that sort of thing. (You might see naked people)

Check the Synopsis to make sure in case I mis read something.

M
Mike123
rainbowfisherman said:

Thanks

I was above Waterloo park a ways on private property. If you have a float tube I'd float either from Bates bridge to Waterloo, or Waterloo bridge to Lebanon dam.

R
rainbowfisherman
Thanks for all the rivers. I like the looks of fall creek and winberry. Are any of them better then the other?

And thanks mike would it be accesible by bank? I have waders and thats it.

Thanks

T
TTFishon
rainbowfisherman said:
Thanks for all the rivers. I like the looks of fall creek and winberry. Are any of them better then the other?

And thanks mike would it be accesible by bank? I have waders and thats it.

Thanks

I'm not sure which one is better. They're fairly close to each other so you could probably fish both the same day.

R
rainbowfisherman
Ok thanks ok last question. Are both the creeks pretty small and clear?

And do you know if i would have a better chance fishing the creeks or going to the mckenzie

Thanks again

T
TTFishon
rainbowfisherman said:
Ok thanks ok last question. Are both the creeks pretty small and clear?

And do you know if i would have a better chance fishing the creeks or going to the mckenzie

Thanks again

That's a good question. I would think you'd have a better chance at the creeks but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give there opinion.

R
rainbowfisherman
Postponing my trip till next week when the rain stops