McKenzie River

Koils

Hey guys I’m new to the fishing forum and I was just wondering I’m gonna go camping near the McKenzie river next week and wanted to know where’s the best place to go salmon/steelhead fishing in the McKenzie? I’m not experienced in catching those fish at all I was gonna use blue fox’s or use a jig under a bobber but what spots are best? I’m going next week so let me know with any ideas thanks.

troutdude

Be sure to COMPLETELY read, and understand, the 2019 reg's BEFORE you head out. Different sections of that river, have differing reg's. In particular:

McKenzie River and Tributaries The following apply to open sections below: *
• Open all year for trout, hatchery steelhead, and wild steelhead greater than 24 inches in length.
• 5 hatchery trout per day, no minimum length.
• (ALL) Wild trout MUST be safely released unharmed, including brook trout.

Click on this link, for the "zone specific" reg's for each section of the river. They begin on page 46 and continue on page 47.

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/19ORFW_LRx.pdf

Koils

Ok thanks reading some of the other posts I did see how specific some of the regulations are I will definitely check that out thanks.

troutdude

You're welcome. Best of luck to ya. That river is highly regulated for not only the fishery; but also to the keep the water from pollution too. As are ALL of the lakes in that system as well. On most, if not all, of the lakes NO MOTORS OF ANY KIND are allowed (no gas AND NO electric ones either). Only row boats, canoes, yaks, pontoon boats, and float tubes are allowed.

Koils

Also I found online that most people fly fish on this river. Do the other methods work as well like bobber and jig or spinners and if so which spot is best?